Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nehe-tutorial 36 (blurr) works under vc6.0 but NOT under vc7.0 !! how is't possible?

nehe-tutorial 36 (blurr) works under vc6.0 but NOT under vc7.0 !! how is't possible?

i took tutorial 36 about radial blur from http://nehe.gamedev.net/tutorials/lesson.asp?l=36

and it works fine under visual c++ 6.0, but not under visualc++ 7.0 ! how can this happen? i thougth opengl is more or less platform independent and even more compiler version independent.....
    strange thing. seems that microsofts opengl-implementation in vc7.0 is buggy .
    can anyone help out? i think the problem is located by the frambuffer to texture copy.

Re: nehe-tutorial 36 (blurr) works under vc6.0 but NOT under vc7.0 !! how is't possible?

Could be a gone generation bug? Did you try building it in debug mode with optimizations turned off?

Re: nehe-tutorial 36 (blurr) works under vc6.0 but NOT under vc7.0 !! how is't possible?

What exactly is the problem. I remeber having found some bugs in radial blur in VC++ 6.0 (don't have VC++ 7). But I think they were windows related.

Senior Member OpenGL Guru

librarys compiled for one version of vc normally aint compatable with another version.
    this has got nothing to do with opengl per se ie it happens with any libraries.

Junior Member Regular Contributor

There is VISUAL C++ 7.0???Where can i read some info about that.Does it have introductionary/standart/professinal/enterprise versions???.Write me a mail about that stuff!
    The pain is coming...THIS SUMMER!

sorry for late reply,
    i have compiled both in debug mode (no optimizations) and release mode - neither works. i cannot believe this ... i would expect this if i change between win32<->linux, but not between different vc-version....

seems that even in vc7 the gl - header is pretty old:

/*++ BUILD Version: 0004 // Increment this if a change has global effects

Copyright (c) 1985-96, Microsoft Corporation

Module Name:

gl.h

Abstract:

Procedure declarations, constant definitions and macros for the OpenGL
    component.

--*/

#ifndef __gl_h_
    #ifndef __GL_H__

#define __gl_h_
    #define __GL_H__

#ifdef __cplusplus
    extern "C" {
    #endif

/*
    ** Copyright 1996 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
    ** All Rights Reserved.
    ** This is UNPUBLISHED PROPRIETARY SOURCE CODE of Silicon Graphics, Inc.;
    ** the contents of this file may not be disclosed to third parties, copied or
    ** duplicated in any form, in whole or in part, without the prior written
    ** permission of Silicon Graphics, Inc.
    ** RESTRICTED RIGHTS LEGEND:
    ** Use, duplication or disclosure by the Government is subject to restrictions
    ** as set forth in subdivision (c)(1)(ii) of the Rights in Technical Data
    ** and Computer Software clause at DFARS 252.227-7013, and/or in similar or
    ** successor clauses in the FAR, DOD or NASA FAR Supplement. Unpublished -
    ** rights reserved under the Copyright Laws of the United States.
    */
    /* Version */
    #define GL_VERSION_1_1

so my guess is just a buggy opengl.lib.

Advanced Member Frequent Contributor

You still haven't explained what "doesn't works" means. It doesn't compile, it doesn't link, it doesn't display correctly or what?

oh sorry!
    it compiles fine, runs fine - but the blur effect is gone in vc7. only the spriral gets drawn. so my assumption is that the framebuffer -> texture copy fails.
    but why ?

Junior Member Regular Contributor

works fine for me. the EXE is 44K instead of 36K, but it's working just fine.

quit smoking man.

so - could you please mail me your *.exe (or probably better the complete direc with project files)?
    (post@andre-krause.net)
    what's your graphics card ? i got ati-radeon ve.. and you visualc++ version ? any updates applied ?