Textures and Display Lists

I am working with some code the uses 3 large RGB textures (4096x2048) inside a display list. On the windows platform I am seeing textures disappear and reappear but Linux seems fine. This usually happens when other display listed texture intensive programs are running on the same box. A second very similar application uses the same textures in immediate mode and runs fine on both platforms.

What are the pros (if any) and cons of using textures inside a display list on present day hardware (nvidia quadro w/pci express)? Do display listed textures use more on board video ram?

Thanks,
Bob

Works fine in my mac program.

Though, I have seen this problem before and I think it might be a memory issue? :frowning:

I’m not sure how to solve it but what happens if you don’t delete the system memory after to create your texture? Maybe use GL_COMPRESSED_RGB to free up some more vram memory. I wonder if the card is out of memory then opengl runs back to the system memory copy? Not sure…

Just curious, is it a transparent texture?

What do you mean, you use textures inside a display list?

Is the glTexImage2D-call inside the display list, or only the glBindTexture?

> Is the glTexImage2D-call inside the display list, > or only the glBindTexture?

It looks like both glTexImage2D and glBindTexture are inside the display list.

> Just curious, is it a transparent texture?
No transparent textures.

In my case,

glActiveTexture(GL_TEXTURE0);
glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);
glBindTexture (GL_TEXTURE_2D, _id );

//do stuff

glActiveTexture(GL_TEXTURE0);
glDisable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);

There is a list of no no calls on p. 288 in the red book and these are not in that list, if I recall.

Thanks nib. By the way, it looks like we are Texas neighbors. :>)

Well, I just pulled the textures out of the DL and I still have the problem. I guess I’m dealing with a GL state issue or something.

Thanks,
Koz

I just put a glPushMatrix and glPopMatrix and the start and end of my lists. So, no transform funny business spills out.

Yep, I’m an Austin transplant. No more California mouse wheel for nib … real estate is going to blow over there.