C++ Dev Software

Hi all… I used to develop on a not so legal copy of MSVC++ V5.0 which I really liked. This was lost during a forced format but anyway I was far to busy this last year at uni to do any GL dev work. But now I really need to get back in and start developing but I need a c++ developer/editor/compiler/ide etc.

What do you use and prefer or reccomend?

There used to be student deals on MSVC++ but I can’t find any details, what happened? See I am too broke to be able to pay full price for such software so is there anyway I can get it free or at reduced cost for non-commercial student use?

Any infor much appreciated!

Tim

take a look on microsoft.com and search after “evalutaion versions” or “student version” - i’m absolutely sure (that means 99,9% ) that you will find there any helpful information for you !

Or try out gcc++ - you can even code with UltraEdit (several plug-ins for syntax-lighting) and lots of other tools. ( i have met people working on WinTel-System with the notepad.exe and gcc as compiler !!)

[This message has been edited by DJSnow (edited 08-12-2002).]

Hm often universities have some special offers or similar things(MSDN stuff). I’d definetely check it. I can get almost any MS program(except office) for free (with educational license) through my university.

-Lev

Or try out gcc++ - you can even code with UltraEdit (several plug-ins for syntax-lighting) and lots of other tools. ( i have met people working on WinTel-System with the notepad.exe and gcc as compiler !!)

Thanks, I will look into that. I knew free complilers were an option but I had a feeling they wouldn’t be so well supported. I’ll check out the ms site.

Lev: I thought my Uni did but I have asked around and noone seems to know. I have looked on the website and you can get some ms software at reduced cost but not all. Will have to check more closely before I purchase anything!

Tim

You might want to look into Dev-C++ at http://sourceforge.net/projects/dev-cpp/ , which is “Dev-C++ is an full-featured Integrated Development Environment (IDE) for Win32 and Linux. It uses GCC, Mingw or Cygwin as compiler and libraries set.” I haven’t used it, butt it looks really promising (and free).

I looked briefly at Dev-C++ a while back and TBH it wasn’t remotely usable for anything but the smallest toy projects. May have improved since then, of course.

Personally I use the UltraEdit/mingw combo at home these days and am generally happy with it. I haven’t gotten gdb (the GNU debugger) to work stably, but don’t really miss it. The Borland 5.5 command-line compiler is also free, though I don’t know whether they supply a make tool.

I may splash out for VC7.1 when it’s released this Autumn, since it looks as if it will finally compile something resembling standard C++. Very annoyed though that MS no longer sell VC++ separately (apart from the useless debug-build-only “Standard” edition) - if you want it, you now have to pay through the nose for the whole of Visual Studio, including ASP.NET, VB.NET and a truckload of other junk you have zero use for. Product tying? What product tying? Gee, you’d almost think they were an abusive monopoly…

</rant>

Some books come with trial versions of vc++
I have received 3 er 4 copies from different books over the years. The compiler has full capibilities except it places a prompt that it is an intro edition every time you run a program you compile. This would be the least costly was to get back in to things. the last one I think I got was in the book tricks of windows game prgramming gurus v2. it’s a DX book but has some good info with the compiler you need. Some book stores i have found to have better pricing than software stores when it came to vc++ packages.

[This message has been edited by Caltus (edited 08-13-2002).]

Psst!
Download grokster from:- http://www.grokster.com

Search for “visual c++”.
Download version 6.
I assume the product id for it is:-
010 00000000

as it has been for years.

(you ain’t seen me, right?)

Thnaks guys I will look into all those suggestions. I eventually found my unis MS software deals- would have to pay £60 sterling for the whole .NET studio. Not bad but still a litle bit outside my reach and I don’t need anything apart from VC++.

VC7.1 - Is there anything extra special about this worth me waiting for it? What version of VC++ are we at now, 6.0?

Tim

7 is .net