Best approach to problem, help needed

Hi all,

As some of you know from my previous posts, I’m having problems with vertex arrays and material properties per vertex: I need to combine the two. I just cannot get them to work together the way I want. So, maybe you can suggest an approach that I may take in solving the problem. Here it is:

1. I have a scene with many facets, ~100K at least.

2. Facets has diffuse and specular material properties.

3. Lighting is enabled and may change position during the simulation.

4. the camera position changes: The observer moves around in the scene.

5. During each frame, I need to extarct depth information (pixel position in the scene in world coordinates) and intensity information (RGB color per pixel)

6. Repeat the process for each frame. The camera position may change per frame or be the same for few frames. It depends on the way the user wants to move in the scene.

7. My scene is 512x512

I’m trying to get a good FPS (~30fps) for the simulation. I know this depends on the hardware, but if I get good performance on a GF3, for example, then I know I will get at least as good a performance on better cards.

TIA,
GGL

During each frame, I need to extarct depth information (pixel position in the scene in world coordinates) and intensity information (RGB color per pixel)

Well, that pretty much guarentees a low framerate, on virtually any card. Sending the depth and pixel buffers across the bus is a non-trivial (and non-fast) task.