docking windows w/ openGL?

Is there a way to create docking windows directly with openGL? Or do I have to orchestrate the window management directly from the underlying OS? I would hate having to do that… I have to support three different OS… Thanks for your help. -Adrian

Originally posted by AdrianToo:
Is there a way to create docking windows directly with openGL?
no. acutally, you can’t use opengl-commands until a window is created…

Or do I have to orchestrate the window management directly from the underlying OS? I would hate having to do that… I have to support three different OS… Thanks for your help. -Adrian
GLUT might be a solution for you:
http://www.opengl.org/resources/libraries/glut/glut_faq.html

Docking windows is definitely a platform specific function, however you may be able to find a library that supports this cross platform. OpenGL certainly doesn’t.

When you think about windowing & docking functionality etc, it is potentially an operating system neutral function, i.e. it’s software that could run on most operating systems, however the close association of ‘native’ windowing APIs with specific operating systems has generally tied windowing APIs to the OS.

There are several libraries that sit on top of low level native windowing API’s and provide higher level cross platform functionality you can write to, however many(most or almost all) of these are relatively simple and don’t provide sophisticated GUI functionality and nothing like docking.

I think your best bet would be to look at gtk+ or Qt.