OT: Hidding textures?

How do most games HIDE there textures from the user? So that they cant see them in the game folder? I was curious if this could be done quite easily, or if it took alot to do?

The one exeption I have found was Quake 3. I could fine ALL of there textures, exept the map textures. So how is it done, how do they hide them.

Special notes: I am currently using devIL to load my images, and I would like it to work for ALL platforms. Any suggestions?

depends what you mean with hiding them… I have a virtual filesystem in an own ‘zip’ file ( not compatible with the normal Zip), but if someone erally wanted to extract the files i guess that shouldnt be a problem

attrib . /s +h works in windows i guess :slight_smile:

The map textures are in the pk3 files. Maybe you were looking into the wrong one? I’ve looked at them before. Try looking in there again.

-SirKnight

[This message has been edited by SirKnight (edited 09-23-2002).]

lol hide them?

I think you are better off scrambling your files, but even then,it is possible to snoop with gltrace.

Anyone want a hacked version of gltrace that copies the textures to your harddisk?

V-man

what is gltrace? does it log all opengl calls?

yes so everyone can see your tricks, grab your textures etc so hiding them is useless
btw theres also another similar program thats works for opengl + d3d

Yes V-Man I’m interested in that.
Where can it be find?
thanks

very nice…

Originally posted by Antorian:
Yes V-Man I’m interested in that.
Where can it be find?
thanks

Not on the web! But you get get the original gltrace and hack it up to your liking.

NOTE: textures are copyrighted too, so dont go stealing them.

V-man

Yes but it’s only to test my app, cauze I must see how is performed the texture, (I use algo that generate texture and modify them in real time) so would like to know at a time what’s the texture evolution in real time. (by pressing a key at the good time).
So I currently use a second display to see what is performed, but…it’s not enough acurate. (I must know waht are the values of the pixels of texture).
etc…

I don’t want to hack texture from other apps (even it seems to be a good trick) 'cause I don’t want any problem with copyright in my appz.

Thanks.