Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OpenGL 2.0 Question

Member Regular Contributor

OpenGL 2.0 Question

So when OpenGL 2.0 finally comes out along with the Shading Language, are current cards out on the market going to support this? Meaning, if I buy a geforce fx card right now, will it support all features in OpenGL 2.0, such as all the pixel shader stuff and extensions?

Re: OpenGL 2.0 Question

The shading language is already out, but not yet supported by any public drivers.
    The current generation of cards should support it, but not fully (it'll be awhile before any chips support the full GL2 shading spec).

As for the core GL2, I don't know. Is there even a draft spec for that yet?

I think there's a draft for it at 3d labs web site. I'd just hate to go out and buy a geforce fx card only to find out 6 months down the road I can't use all the features of OpenGL 2.0.

Senior Member OpenGL Guru

There is no GL2.0. There won't be a GL2.0.

It was all a pipedream invented by 3DLabs to make them look "progressive" and "forward-looking". The only thing that will come out of GL2.0 is glslang. The rest of it may eventually be adopted as extensions, but there will not be anything soon on it.

We've got VBO now, so we don't need their new vertex interface. We're getting superbuffers, so we don't need the 2.0 version of that if there even was one. Everything else from 2.0 is superfluous and unneeded.

Senior Member OpenGL Pro

There is no GL2.0. There won't be a GL2.0.
    Not for a while anyway. We're already at 1.5 and we gain a .1 version every year or two I think. Eventually OpenGL will be at 2.0 but that may be as much as 5 years from now. And even then, it probably won't be the 3D Labs 2.0 that we know about now.

I hope the shading language will be fully supported on the NV30+ and R300+ and not require next years part. Maybe the final Det 50's will have it? Doubt it but it would be nice.

-SirKnight
    -SirKnight

Senior Member OpenGL Pro

Just curious, anyone know if the NV30 will support SuperBuffers (Überbuffers)?

-SirKnight
    -SirKnight

Originally posted by SirKnight:

-SirKnight
    They kind of can right now, with the pixel data range extension.

Senior Member OpenGL Guru

It's just a memory management scheme. The TNT2 probably can support it if they make appropriate drivers for it.

So should one wait and use the OpenGL Shading Language for pixel shading or just use Nvidia's CG?

Intern Contributor

CG is written by NV, so it creates NV-optimized code of course. It uses some GFFX-specific hacks (low amount of registers). If you want really cleaned up shader code wait for glslang or write in arb_vp and arb_fp.

cu
    Tom