Download OpenGL v1.2, 1.3 or 1.4

Where can i download the versin:
OpenGL v1.2, 1.3 or 1.4 are included with the drivers for your OpenGL video cards.

I cannot find a link.

Please help!

Thanks

You can’t download OpenGL like it’s the case with DirectX.
It’s included in your videocard’s driver, so you should download the newest driver for your gfxcard for the latest OpenGL-Implementation.

And how can i get the latest openGL implementation???

Originally posted by PanzerSchreck:
You can’t download OpenGL like it’s the case with DirectX.
It’s included in your videocard’s driver, so you should download the newest driver for your gfxcard for the latest OpenGL-Implementation.

Can’t read?
I said that it’s included in the drivers for your graphicscard.

And for what is openGL good?
because somebody told me that i have to download this version.

Hi !

You shouldn’t listen to people that tell you “what you have to do”, if you don’t have a clue why you need to download it you probably don’t need it.

OpenGL is a 3D graphics API, many games use it, and also 3D modellers and CAD software, it is alos pretty common for screen savers and other vital things…

You already has OpenGL on all late versions of Windows (and Linux also), but it is usually software only rendering (slow), if you get drivers for your video card you may get hardware acceleration (much faster 3D graphics).

Hope that helps
Mikael

Check out this article http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/oglext/ . It should answer most of your questions.

If im correct Doom 3 used OpenGL2.0 right… What does ID know the the public doenst know ??

I really like the OpenGL API, but i dont understand its SDK thing… cuz there is… there isnt… or its old but yet i see OpenGL demo’s with effects that DX9 is just capable off.

Either OpenGL is more advanced the DX or im VERY confused

[This message has been edited by GL_ZERO (edited 08-25-2003).]

ID has more information because it’s a part of ARB so they are developing OpenGL. But regarding to the latest decisions i don’t think that D3 will need GL2. GL1.5 includes mostly the features, which should be implemented in GL2.

DX is not as often updatet than GL, because DX is a kind of layer over the Driver, GL instead is implemented in the driver itself so the vendors are able to implement new features directly via an extension. The problem is that it’S mostly vendor specific until ARB agrees on a extensions, which is not vendor specific, but this may take a while. You see, GL is much more quicker in using new technologies.

Back to the topic.
You answered your question on your own, so why do you ask again?

First of all ddraw,d3d ect. will only work on windows os. Opengl can run on other os. Dx is better in my opinion but if you want to make a game and port it to ther os dx is a bad choice so large game dev. can use opengl to its advantage to run on other os as long as they have g cards that are opengl suported. (example) After all assembly is more powerful then c\c++ but not as portable.

And also open gl is slower then dx this I know for a fact.

Originally posted by whocares:
And also open gl is slower then dx this I know for a fact.

Thats the most stupid sentence I read in the last years.

1. OpenGL and DX have nothing in common,and it should read D3D (DX is the name of the whole package)!
  2. This quote is totally wrong…the fact that some games (like UT2k3) run slower when selecting OpenGL is due to the fact that their GL-Renderer isn’t as optimised as the D3D one (cause of the fact that UT2k3 was developed with D3D in mind and that it’s GL-Renderer is only experimental)

First of all learn to read In my first reply you see d3d and draw and I also said in my opinion I used dx in the 2nd thinking that I already siad d3d an draw (directdraw,direct,3d,dinput ect. I know it is a pack other wise I would have said dx in the begining so hope you learn to read before you act it is your opinon what you wrote and I respect that but please dont say I am completley wrong for you also proved what I said(utslow). The reason why opengl is slow is if you don’t have a good 3d video card. With dx this aloso aplys but most of the time it is just if you dont have the latest ver. So I hope I got to you.
See.noe.Hear.noe.Speak.noe.

I can’t believe I’m participating in a Dx vs OGL debate. Pretty much everyone here already knows better than to believe whocares’s comment, anyway.

So, I’ll just say this… if you’ve got an nVidia card try playing games based on id engines like Half-life or Quake 3 and see what gives the better performance. I get a LOT better performance with OpenGL.

The truth is, if used right both APIs will give about the same performance, at least with nVidia cards. nVidia gives good drivers for both OpenGL and D3D.

If you have a crappy video card, D3Ds software implementation may be faster, but who cares, it’s still going to be crappy performance.

thank you you have shown my point of dx dinput, d3d,draw ok dx what ever. Yes dx games apps ect.(I like using ect.)do run faster then Opengl ones if you have a bad video card. You missed one thing tho since dx is faster on bad video cards the same aplys if you have a very good video card like a nvidia geforce2. My point was that dx is good but opengl is better since you can port to other os. Ok blallala!

No, the same does NOT apply for good cards. For good cards, there are good drivers for OpenGL and Direct3D that take advantage of the hardware, and therefore any speed differences are negligible. Speed differences you may see in individual games are due to the game favoring one API over the other. I’ve written identical demos in OpenGL and Direct3D just to make this comparison for myself and OpenGL was only slightly faster. Can you say the same? It sounds like you are making assumptions based on a limited set of experiences.

Now under stand My point was that dx is good but opengl is better since you can port to other os. Ok! And I also siad in my opinion now thats that! Do you know what I mean by o.p.i.n.i.o.n! Now class lets have a session! The best movie of all time is A.I.! That is a o.p.i.n.i.o.n that is true to one but may not be to another now I hope you understand. See.noe.Hear.noe.Speak.noe.

Now lets stop fighting like little brats dam it!

You implied that DirectX was faster than OpenGL in all cases. That is something that can quantitatively be measured, and therefore is not an opinion. I simply stated that it your statement is not always true. If you don’t believe me that there are cases where OpenGL is faster, and that there are cases where they are virtually identical, then you are welcome to try and prove me wrong.

I only have one thing to say to that so this will not go on any further See.noe.Hear.noe.Speak.noe. Ok? Oh and who cares! Enogh!