Collision Detection + easy implementation

Hey all,

Am trying to implement simple collision detection in OpenGl (using C++) in my graphics, any suggestions???

Need to keep it as simple as possible.

Thanks.

Try either bounding spheres or axis aligned bounding boxes.

ahhh can you explain in more detail please??

Here’s what I would do in your position:

• [li]Open a browser window[]Type http://www.google.com in the address bar.[]Type in things in the search such as, “collision detection”, “bounding spheres”, “axis aligned bounding boxes”[*]Follow the pages and pages of results

Learning where to go for stuff like this will get you far.

You can take the distance between the two object A & B with the following:

dx = Ax - Bx
dy = Ay - By
dz = Az - Bz

distance = sqrt(dxdx + dydy + dz*dz)

if( distance <= (A_radius + B_radius) // radius is the radus of our bounding sphere for each object

// If the distance is less or equal to the sum of the two radius of the spheres, then they are touching.

Originally posted by mike55:
ahhh can you explain in more detail please??

Originally posted by nexusone:
[b]You can take the distance between the two object A & B with the following:

dx = Ax - Bx
dy = Ay - By
dz = Az - Bz

if( distance <= (A_radius + B_radius) // radius is the radus of our bounding sphere for each object

// If the distance is less or equal to the sum of the two radius of the spheres, then they are touching.

[/b]

Sounds interesting to me …

Ok … if I’m using glutSolidSphere to draw to spheres from where I get each centre point for the two sphere to get the destance between them, let me set an example here …

if my first sphere is :
glTranslatef(x1,y1,0.0f);
glutSolidSphere( 5.0,50,50);

The second one is:
if my first sphere is :
glTranslatef(x2,y2,0.0f);
glutSolidSphere( 10.0,50,50);

Then according to your calculation :
dx = x2 - x1 or x1 - x2 !
dy = y2 - y1 or y1 - y2!
dz = 0 ;

if( distance <= (15.0) then contact= true ;

Am I right … ?

Thanks in Advance nexusone …

Yes

IT Works …

Thanks alot nexusone

Hi again nexusone …

I tried this time to implement the collision between two shperes and a rectangle like the following ( the two spheres bounced when hitting each other and when each of them hit the rectangle) … but it didn’t work with the rectangle I dont know why … Maybe because I didn’t determine the sum correctly here :…
if( distance <= (A_radius + ??? ) // radius is the radus of our bounding sphere for each object

… Any suggestion … ?

Thanks in advance