Full scene anti-aliasing?

Anybody here got any idea how to do full scene anti-aliasing on GeForce3-class hardware? (strangely, there wasn’t a single reference to this on nVidia’s dev site…)
Does nVidia provide an extension specifically for this or is it done using regular OpenGL calls?

Assuming you are using Windows, have you tried enable FSAA in the display settings dialog?

Hi there,

this may be of some help
http://oss.sgi.com/projects/ogl-sample/registry/EXT/wgl_multisample.txt

Mark

You could always use the accumulation buffer, and render your scene many times, ‘jittering’ the scene a bit each time… Of course, you’d be lucky to achieve a framerate of 1 frame per second… But hey, the options always there.

Originally posted by Bob:
Assuming you are using Windows, have you tried enable FSAA in the display settings dialog?

thanks…did just that. yikes, the fps just plumetted by at least 50%! (is it normally so slow? my viewport isn’t even large by standards!)

Originally posted by MelvinEng:
thanks…did just that. yikes, the fps just plumetted by at least 50%! (is it normally so slow? my viewport isn’t even large by standards!)

If you’re fillrate limited and are using 2x or 4x antialising, the framerate hit can be very noticeable. If you’re not already, try the Quincunx antialising (about as good as 4x but with a fraction of the performance cost)

Are you the only one that is going to use your demo/game/app ?? If so, using driver settings is the simplest way to get FSAA. If not, do you plan to ask the user to go by himself in the driver settings and turn FSAA on? Are you sure he/she will know how to do this? What if there is no FSAA driver setting but the card exposes GL_EXT_Multisample ?
IMHO, relying on a driver setting to get any kind of feature/effect is not a good method.

Just my 2 cents.

Posted by Dodger:
If you’re fillrate limited and are using 2x or 4x antialising, the framerate hit can be very noticeable. If you’re not already, try the Quincunx antialising (about as good as 4x but with a fraction of the performance cost)

I have a GeForce2 Ultra but I don’t see any “Quincunx” setting for antialiasing. Is it available only for GeForce3 cards?
The only antialiasing options I have in the GeForce2 Ultra control panel applet are “No antialising”, “1.5x1.5”, “2x2” and “2x2(LOD bias)”…no “4x4” or “Quincunx” whatsoever.
Am I missing something here?

Quincunx is avaliable only on GeForce 3’s.