collision detection

I am coding engine now. And i need some help: i don’t know what type of collision detection is the best for games like carmageddon? And if someone know where i can find some source of engines, tutorials or documentation, please help me.

Collision detection, well I’m trying to do it myself at the moment with a FPS and believe me it’s not easy. If your only doing it in 2d then it would simplify it greatly. Try looking at the likes of www.flipcode.com or www.gamedev.net They have some good links to tutorials on CD. As for what method, that depends on what sort of objects you will have. I sugest you do a bit of research on what types you would like to use then compare each one against all of the different types of objects that you have in your game.

In 3 D:
If you use complex forms, To compare each one against all of the different types of objects take a long time.
You can create display lists of box (which the form is more simpler) including one objet.
At First you test collisions between boxes and in case of positive result, you compare the objects themselves.

I maybe wrong but try dividing your world into Portals and only do collision detection on objects in that portal. Maybe octrees can help too.

Fastian