Lightwave reader

Anyone knows any good LWO/LWS reader out there? Preferrably LWO2 format. Thanks.

any ones ive seen are gone now.
so you could try the one in the LW SDK?
or write your own?

Lightwave reader is tideous to do. How come nobody is doing it? Maybe when I quit my current job I’ll start a GNU project for it.

Originally posted by Zuraffo:
Lightwave reader is tideous to do. How come nobody is doing it? Maybe when I quit my current job I’ll start a GNU project for it.

Hey guys… just export the Lightwave file to OBJ format, it’s all in ascii format for you… all you do is write the code to read each vertices, normals, and texture coordinates… put them into arrays and let opengl do all the work… come on… it’s not that hard. I can give you guys my code, but you wouldn’t learn anything from it. you gotta start somewhere.

-NOI

>Lightwave reader is tideous to do. How come nobody is doing it?

you answered your own question trust me.

well im working on an lwo 2 loader… about 65%-75% complete… not fully tested that is… with a lot of preliminary code… but the basic loader is 65%-75% done.

[This message has been edited by no-one (edited 05-01-2002).]

I did a binary parser for lwo and did a reader for lws too. It’s not hard. It’s just plain tedious and pretty brainless.

Heys guys just go on the lightwave site in the developper section
the format is fully described.
simple parsing of the file following the IFF format have to be done.
my only problem with my loader are my normals.

hey no-one, how do you calculate the normals ?
first edge with last edge for each faces?

hey, i looked on the newtek site to look for the discription of the file format, but couldnt find it… can you give us a direct link please?

Originally posted by Noi:
[b] Hey guys… just export the Lightwave file to OBJ format, it’s all in ascii format for you… all you do is write the code to read each vertices, normals, and texture coordinates… put them into arrays and let opengl do all the work… come on… it’s not that hard. I can give you guys my code, but you wouldn’t learn anything from it. you gotta start somewhere.

-NOI[/b]

i looked at the obj file and there’s no texture support

The obj format supports textures. It has references to a .mtl, which contains the materials. the map_Kd or so is the texture. See the OBJ file format spec.

• Mete