Rendering to memory

Hi.
I am making a DLL extension for a piece of 2D game coding software (called Fenix). My extension is a 3D eninge using opengl. At the moment I have it working by setting up opengl to take over the window. This of course disables Fenix’s normal software drawing functions, which I don’t want to do.
However, Fenix has a buffer I could draw to (by the name of “background”). It consists of an array of 2 byte (16 bit) pixels.
So, does anyone know how to setup opengl to render to this?
I have heard of the possiblity of attaching a windows HBITMAP to a Device Context, but am not sure if a HBITMAP could be set up with the correct 16 bit format (without modifying the “background”), and whether that is what I need anyway…
Can anyone help?

Directly rendering to system memory is almost always a bad idea, because you will get software rendering this way, so it will be extremely slow as soon as you start doing anything more advanced than drawing a few untextured triangles.

You can create a pbuffer context, or use the new (not yet officially available) EXT_framebuffer_object extension to render to an offscreen buffer, and then read back the result with glReadPixels. But this will be slow, too… Not as slow as software rendering, but its very likely still too slow for realtime rendering.

Modern graphic cards are not designed for reading data back from them, it stalls their pipeline, thus destroying parallelism, and the bus transfer rate is much lower when reading back. I’m afraid there is no fast solution for rendering to a memory buffer in realtime, so the best solution for your specific problem is what you have already, just hijack the window :wink:

Thanks… :slight_smile: :frowning:
I think i’m going to have to examine Fenix’s rendering code some more…i’m not really sure how SDL (Fenix uses) sends data to the screen. Or how the screen is in general interfaced to through windows. I wonder if it is possible to have these two things using the same Device Context, and maybe one rendering on top of the other? With transparent colour allowing the other to be seen?
…or something like that :confused:

With SDL it should be relatively easy to do this the other way round, that is, render the 2D data to an offscreen buffer and use this in the 3D renderer.

SDL uses a structure called SDL_Surface for on- and offscreen rendering. So you could just change the setup-code of Fenix so that it constructs an offscreen surface instead of a window.

Then you make your own window for OpenGL rendering, and each time Fenix renders a frame you upload the content of the offscreen surface to a texture. Then you can use this texture anywhere you want in your 3D drawing routine…

That does sound a better + nice idea using it as a texture. Thanks :slight_smile:
I can’t directly change the Fenix setup code; I can only call my DLL functions after it has started.

DLLs access is given to the SDL_Surface that is created (using SDL_Setvideomode) with the pointer “screen”.
I have tried setting “screen” to a new one using SDL_CreateRGBSurface: neither the software functions or my opengl display (I have also tried setting it to NULL: it crashes…)

In all cases my opengl works when I don’t show any software sprites in Fenix.

So…does this mean something of the old “screen” or the new one is still rendering to the window?
Do you have any advice on creating an offscreen surface?