how can i read in a 3d studio max file to use the object in my open gl program ?

the extension of a 3 s max file is .max, isn’t it ?
So i’ve read that i have to change the .max in .ase which is more common and it’s that i wish to do. But how can i do ? and where find information on how to read in a .ASE file ?

Try:
www.wotsit.org

There are tons of file formats, hope it helps.

i don’t find .max
do you know something else ?

Export it to a .3DS file (in 3DS) and go to www.gametutorials.com for a tutorial on loading .3ds files

3ds files have a history wth being not so good a format to use when it comes to games… try using mdls or md3s or md2… if it is really simple… then I think 3ds will do but for a more complex game… I would suggest a format that is more complex also …

-Aditya

3DS does not allow Skeleton Animation … This really suck since its easy to read 3DS files .

If you’re using Visual C++, check out Display3DS for a cogent example of loading 3DS meshes.

thanks but how can i export in .3ds file ?
do i have to rename ?

[This message has been edited by airseb (edited 12-17-2002).]

when u create ur mesh in 3DSmax,u will have an option in the FILE menu->EXPORT ,which lets u save the file in a 3DS format.

it looks complicated, do you have something on .ASE ?

If you had visited the link given above, http://www.gametutorials.com you would have found that they also have an ASE loader.

There are also lots of other examples of ASE and 3DS loaders available on the web, try a Google search on “opengl ase 3ds loaders” or something like that.