Data loaded and now ?

Hi,

I wanted to ask you a question.
I load the Vertices, Normals and TexCoords form an OBJ-File.
Now I wanted to ask how to render the Data most efficent.
It’s all static meshes and so I think Vertex Array would be not bad. Or is there a better way ?
First I showed the Data with glBegin(GL_TRIANGLES) and looped all Vertex3fs, but it is not efficent enough for larger models.
Second: I want to use vertex programs and i wanted to know if i can use them together withvertex arrays. What about NV_VAR ? What Data do i need to use this extension.

Hope you can help me. Thanks in advance

Tom

If your model is static, display lists can be very fast, and for even better performance optimize your vertices for use with “cheaper” primitives like triangle fans and strips.

To the best of my knowledge, vertex arrays are just rapid fire vertex calls, so vertex programs should work with them. I’m sort of new to vertex programs so I may be wrong.

What about the usage of NV_VAR ? What does it exactly offer. And how is it related with NV_FENCE ?

Tom

Hi,

I optimized my data for vertex-stripes. Ofcourse some polys remain alone, but the speedup was noticeable. After that i began to use vertex arrays and it really becomes fast. Thanks for the help so far.

What data-types can i use with NV_VAR ? Are there ARB_VARs or EXT_… ?

Tom

You can story any kind of vertex data in NV_vertex_array_range.
It’s for storing raw vertex data on video memmory | AGP mem.
The acces from there is a lot faster ( uses DMA ).
ATI has ATI_vertex_array_object ( didn’t use it ).

You mean it is not possible to store the VAs on the graphics card’s memory ? Or is the AGP bus fast enough for the Vertex data ?

Tom

I got the picture ( video mem | AGP mem).

Tom