OpenGL SDK

Where can I get an SDK for OpenGL.

Hi !

Depends on what you mean…

If you just need tools to develop OpenGL applications then you only need to header files (gl.h and friends) and the opengl32.lib (on Windows). most compilers has all the files you need to develop OpenGL applications, what OS are you using and what kind of programming language are yoy going to use ?

If you need need for example the nVIDIA OpenGL sdk then you can find it at their website.

Mikael

Look at the topic below.

Im looking into developing an application that will allow the user to create a simple 3d enviroment and walk through it.

The product our company currently produces is for contingency planning, Drawing and mapping all in 2d. This 3d module would be an add on unit which I would prefer to develop as an active X component so it could easily be intergrated into our existing products and future products.

I’m completely new to development in 3d and am still uncertain about what I should use to develop this with. I’ve been informed that OpenGL is easier to get into than direct X so I’m currently exploring this route.

The langauge I currently use is Visual C++ 6.0 and the operating system I’m using is windows 2000 but the product needs to work on 2000 and above. The product also needs as little dependancy on specific graphics cards as possible.

Can you recommend a anywhere that would provide an SDK to suite.

Cheers
            Lee Woodhead

There is not a openGL SDK per say, and I think that is somewhat due to the fact it is multiplat form support and that support on a system is provided by the maker of the OS. ie under windows microsoft makes the core software modules, while the video card maker is left to make the video driver end. That is why you may find some video cards without openGL support.

If you have Microsoft VC++ 6.0, then you already have the core openGL librarys installed on your system; opengl32.lib and glu32.lib.
nehe.gamedev.net has good examples of programming openGL under VC++.

Originally posted by Lee Woodhead:
[b]Im looking into developing an application that will allow the user to create a simple 3d enviroment and walk through it.

The product our company currently produces is for contingency planning, Drawing and mapping all in 2d. This 3d module would be an add on unit which I would prefer to develop as an active X component so it could easily be intergrated into our existing products and future products.

I’m completely new to development in 3d and am still uncertain about what I should use to develop this with. I’ve been informed that OpenGL is easier to get into than direct X so I’m currently exploring this route.

The langauge I currently use is Visual C++ 6.0 and the operating system I’m using is windows 2000 but the product needs to work on 2000 and above. The product also needs as little dependancy on specific graphics cards as possible.

Can you recommend a anywhere that would provide an SDK to suite.

Cheers
            Lee Woodhead

[/b]