video capture + processing under Linuc and Windows -> OpenGL?

Hello,

Very newbie question:

I want to capture a video stream (with a firewire camera, Sony DFW-VL500) and my collegeau wants to do some processing on this stream (e.g. face tracking).
I work with W2000, he works with Linux…

Can we use OpenGl for both things? Or do I have to look for some other things (OpenCV?) for the capturing…

You see, whe’re really newbies.

Can anyone guide me a little in to the right direction?

Thank you,

Geert

Originally posted by Geert:
[b]Hello,

Very newbie question:

I want to capture a video stream (with a firewire camera, Sony DFW-VL500) and my collegeau wants to do some processing on this stream (e.g. face tracking).
I work with W2000, he works with Linux…

Can we use OpenGl for both things? Or do I have to look for some other things (OpenCV?) for the capturing…

You see, whe’re really newbies.

Can anyone guide me a little in to the right direction?

Thank you,

Geert[/b]

I suppose you should (or you have to - do not know any noteworthy alternative) to look at MS DirectShow for capture

You can use open gl to view the stream, but it wont do any capture/processing. It is just a graphics library. Obviously there are libraries areound for doing what you want. But I would assume you would write your own?

The situation is a little like this :

I’m used to do capturing using MFC VC6++ and the appropriate camera drivers. (using W2000)

My collegeau is writing a face tracking tool (using Linux and I think OpenGl) but he uses seperate images, which he has on disk.

He asked me if it was possible to write some simple capturing software which he could use (On his Linux computer) to test his real time tracking tool.

As we both work on different platforms (and I haven’t the time to switch to Linux), we are looking for a solution where I can do my job on Win2000 and he can use my code on Linux.

Geert