glutInitDisplay problems

the glutInitDisplay() function actually works without any serious problems, the .c files complile and so on…
But when I use the GLUT_ALPHA option i can not execute my programm. For example. if the executables name is XAMPLE i get an error message like : “couldn’t find Programm XAMPLE” and it won’t do anything… but as soon as I recompile the code without the GLUT_ALPHA option and without changing anything else it’ll work without any problems…

(I’m programming within a X-Environment, on a Suse8.2 system)

[This message has been edited by yeus (edited 08-17-2003).]

Could be your video card mode, what is the desktop color depth set at?

Originally posted by yeus:
[b]the glutInitDisplay() function actually works without any serious problems, the .c files complile and so on…
But when I use the GLUT_ALPHA option i can not execute my programm. For example. if the executables name is XAMPLE i get an error message like : “couldn’t find Programm XAMPLE” and it won’t do anything… but as soon as I recompile the code without the GLUT_ALPHA option and without changing anything else it’ll work without any problems…

(I’m programming within a X-Environment, on a Suse8.2 system)

[This message has been edited by yeus (edited 08-17-2003).][/b]

[This message has been edited by nexusone (edited 08-18-2003).]

Originally posted by nexusone:
[b]Could be your video card mode, what is the desktop color depth set at?

[This message has been edited by nexusone (edited 08-18-2003).][/b]

roght now it’s at 16bit (65535 colors) and 1280*1024, using a Riva TNT2 chip. and i’m running KDE on xserver version 4.3

Go up to 32 bit and see if the problem still happens…

hm… somehow i’m only able to go up to 24bit don#t know why… at lesat it still doesnt work doesn’t matter how many colors I use

[This message has been edited by yeus (edited 08-20-2003).]

ohhh… ok… it was the desktop resolution… I just wunder what the glutInitDisplay function has to do with my desktop resolution on my Xserver???

thx for giving me the right clue guys…

If your desktop resolution isn’t a color format that supports an alpha channel, you won’t be able to get one with glut. 32-bit resolution is RGBA, 8 bits for each channel. 24-bit is just RGB, with 8 bits for each channel. 16 bit uses a few bit schemes, but usually doesn’t include an alpha, or has only a single alpha bit.

Anyway, for a lot of things a destination alpha isn’t strictly needed. The source alpha can still be used for blending.