modeling software?

I want to create models for import into my OpenGL program. I have never used modeling software of any kind before, so I’m wondering if anyone could recommend any particular (and hopefully relatively “user-friendly”) program to achieve this. Thanks.

Hi !

First of all, what kind of model are we talking about ? organic, mechanical or what ever, complex or simple ?

And finnaly, are you willing to pay money for it, or do you want a free modeler ?

Mikael

Milkshape 3D is a great, inexpensive modeler that has many features. it’s only $20 and is compatible with many games, including Half-Life, Quake 1-3, Max Payne, The Sims…the list goes on.

b

Mikael:

Yes, I am willing to pay money for it. I’m looking to do mechanical modeling. I’m writing a railroad simulator (different functionality from the ones already on the market). So I need to model train cars and engines, and supporting scenery – like buildings.

I’m not sure if I’d be better hard-coding the vertices or using modeling software. I’d like the program to access approx. 200 cars and locomotives, so I’m thinking modeling would be best.

Thanks.

Yes it is best not to hard code objects, since anychange in the object would require re-writing the program.

Let’s take a train example:

You have a F1 style diesal engine, with say four road names. You do not need to redraw the model of the engine four times.
Instead you load a model of an F1 without any color or texture applied, then the user selects what road name. After the selection from the user the color textures of that road name are applied to the model.

Originally posted by xpnctoc:
[b]Mikael:

Yes, I am willing to pay money for it. I’m looking to do mechanical modeling. I’m writing a railroad simulator (different functionality from the ones already on the market). So I need to model train cars and engines, and supporting scenery – like buildings.

I’m not sure if I’d be better hard-coding the vertices or using modeling software. I’d like the program to access approx. 200 cars and locomotives, so I’m thinking modeling would be best.

Thanks.[/b]