100% newbie q's

Hello

Im relatively new to C++ programming, im not too experienced, but I use MSVB6, JavaScript, and (wait for it) BASIC!

I’d like to make a simple 3d program. I don’t want to ask much, but i’d just like something simple, like moving around in a square room or something.

Also, can OpenGL do decent 2D maths? How does Glide compare to OpenGL? Come to think of it, are there any Glide dev pages?

Cheers

Since you mentioned that you were new to C++, am I to assume that you might want help with OOP as well as OpenGL, GLU, and GLUT? Just remember one thing: just because you can link lists and inherit multiple classes with 20 constructors doesn’t mean you should.

[This message has been edited by masonium (edited 06-17-2001).]

Try http://nehe.gamedev.net/opengl.asp He has lots of good tutorials for beginners including one with FPS type movement. OpenGL is a low-level rendering API. It does no maths for you - you’ll have to do all your own. You can look at that as an advantage or disadvantage - it’s up to you. Don’t know anything about Glide, sorry.

Ok, er
a) Whats OOP (what happens when you stuff things up?)
b) Whats GLU (stuff that joins corners of paper to make a nice 3d box?)
c) Whats GLUT (An OpenGL programmer that likes 2 OpenGL windows at once?)

And don’t worry about Glide, I just wondered about it, since Direct3D and OpenGL have problems with my 3dfx V3 3000. Q3 and Half Life OpenGL run fine, but everything else seems to change the textures to christmas lights. But I spose learning glide is a bit useless anyway, 3dfx is almost dead…

a) OOP stands for Object Oriented Programming. That’s what you (try) to do when you use classes in C++

b) GLU is a set of OpenGL utility functions to make using OpenGL easie. It handles perspective projection setup, curves and other assorted stuff.

c) GLUT stands for OpenGL Utility Toolkit and is a basic cross platform windowing system to create OpenGL programs. It also has some rendering utility functions and functions for reading joysticks and other input devices.

Hi,
GLUT is the OpenGL utility toolkit which in my books is a very handly utility, i only started programming OpenGL 2 weeks ago and GLUT helped alot. NeHe has some good tutorials but make sure you download the glut versions of the source, i found the win32 version too confusing plus there is a hell of a lot more code. Also i would suggest getting the ‘OpenGL Programming guide’ available online from the main openGL website.
If you have nay other questions, i may be able to help, i have just got to the point of drawing a room, moving, and now all drawing is done throught reading from a file.

Paul

Is there any way I can download the tutorials as well as the source?

Hi,
I think if you go to the main page there are options to download the tutorials in pdf format, it will tell you on the side panel on the main page.

Paul

Originally posted by Falcon611:

And don’t worry about Glide, I just wondered about it, since Direct3D and OpenGL have problems with my 3dfx V3 3000. Q3 and Half Life OpenGL run fine, but everything else seems to change the textures to christmas lights. But I spose learning glide is a bit useless anyway, 3dfx is almost dead…

heyyyy i had the same problem with the christmas lights with some directX games (codemasters releases), only i found the name “disco-bug” more appropriate
do you know of any remedy to this?

agree with glide, there won’t be too many 3dfx cards around anymore, so glide effectively is dead.

My voodoo3 always worked fine. V3’s seem compatible with everything, just a little slow these days. Try the latest drivers for the V3 and the latest AGP motherboard drivers (if you have a non-intel chipset motherboard).

nah, I like Falcon’s defintion of OOP, GLU and GLUT better. =)

Yea I have the latest everything just about, (Last official 3dfx drivers, x3dfx drivers, WickedGL, DX8a, and latest mobo update) and I still get hoshi55’s “Disco bug”. The next time I play Tribes 2 ill take a screenshot and show you what I mean.