The Big Problem : Loading 3D Studio Models

Could anyone answer the following existential question :
How to load a model (from, e.g., a .3DS file) ? Where could I download such a function ? Please Help !

That is probably the most asked question on this board. I suggest you search the previous posts on this topic.

Anybody wants to write a new 3ds loader with me? Currently mine only loads the models and ignores the texture chunks and keyframe chunks, but at least I’ve got something working. So if anybody wants to work a week or so with me on that thing…

I’d be interested in helping with that. Actually, I’d like a public domain (or at least free as in speech) chunk of code to load a 3ds file into a display list (with
textures and all)

yummy.

My email is in my details.
Actually my code can do yet:

Geometry (well okay…)
Smoothing Groups

Well, it’s not so much yet, but all the other things (but the material chunks) are prepared but not yet implemented. I can send you some documentation if you want. No problem with free source. It’s yet written in plain c and I don’t see a reason to write it in c++. Awaiting response.

Hey! i want to join you guys!! but if you’re too far I rather not… unfortunately I never really learned C, know C++ pretty well too… wrote a couple of loaders myself in c++, but I bet it’s easier with C (memcpy n all)… do you know a place with good docs?

btw, you can find 3DS loaders at www.flipcode.com (more than one actually )

Thank you ngill ! I’ve found a library called
Lib3DS on flipcode.com ! Seems to provide everything I need !

[This message has been edited by B. Jacob (edited 06-19-2001).]