Help with book...

Hi there…
Ý wonna buy a book about Game Programming
in amazon.com i found some-
1.“Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus- Advanced 3D Graphics and Rasterization”
by André LaMothe (Author)
2.Opengl Game Programing

and so on…
can you write your opinion about this books(if you read) or can you advise me other ones

with respect Rusik.

Depends on what you want to do really what are your current skills.

I’ve read (most of) OpenGL Game Programming. Not too bad for a first book, to help someone get through the first steps of making games. Apart from OpenGL related chapters, it has some very basic math, physics, modelling and OO stuff that you’re likely to find useful if you’re a beginner.

Additionally, it uses DirectInput and DirectSound for input and sound. For me, this is a big minus, 'cos it make the source ready to build only under Windows. But that’s just a personal view, if you’re fine with DirectSound and Input, the book will give you the basics and provide you with source and background enough to start things rolling.

Overall, a good introduction if you’ve not familiar with any aspects of 3d game programming (and I mentioned how I feel about DirectInput and DirectSound). However, if you’ve done some OpenGL and know your ways with rendering etc., you may want to shift the focus of the book you’ll be buying towards physics/modelling/collisions/AI possibly.

I would suggest first making extensive use of the relevant resources on the internet. Everything is out there man!

Take it easy

madmortigan

[This message has been edited by madmortigan (edited 09-27-2003).]

thank you…