Yet Another Question about Creating 3D-Engines Using OGL :-)

Hello.
I recently jumped on the OpenGL band-wagon and had a few questions for the pro’s.
I’ve been given 1yr by my university to complete a “big design project” that every software engineer must undertake. To this effect, my group is creating a behavioural simulator (re: “Boids”) and has put me incharge of coding a 3D-Engine. I’ve chosen to build my engine on top of the OGL API, since it seems easier than D3D. My question is as follows:

Is there a site/book which provides abstract info. on the basic components of a 3D engine? I don’t want to know how its done in OGL (yet), just the general “flow-chart” type layout of a 3D engine.
Also, is it realistic to expect that I will be able to create a simplified version of the Black & White™ or Impossible Creatures™ game-worlds given ~1yr?

I’ve checked past threads on the site, but most seem to promote the OGL Red/Blue Books, and don’t seem to provide any general info on Engine Design.

Any help anyone could extend would be appreciatied.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by QuantumNgen (edited 05-24-2003).]

I can highly recommend “3D Game Engine Design” by David Eberly - ISBN 1-55860-593-2 - which you’ll find easily at Amazon.

Thanks

THere is something about boids in Flake’s book.