New to Graphics Programming

I am new to Graphics programming, but not C++. I have had three courses in calculus and some courses in discrete structures and Linear Algebra and algorithms. What would be the best book to start me in the OpenGL programming without any graphics programming experience? I’ve looked at reviews on Francis S. Hill’s book and one review said that the book was half-finished.

perhaps you should try some tutorials, before you go out and spent the money ?
try www.gametutorials.com or nehe.gamedev.net; both pages which have great tutorials, even on simple things.

after getting a small grasp, it would be best for you, i think, to check out some books at amazon.com, in which you can look into (!), to find out, on what things you should cover regarding your current knowledge.
www.gamedev.net has a great book-review section; try this, to find comments on books by people which have read them.

a very good beginner book is “opengl game programming”, but it assumes that you have at least a minimum knowledge and comprehension about programming in general and graphic/3D programming in particular - but, its not as hard as that you couldn’t get started; but it’s essential to mention that it’s beginner book.

[This message has been edited by DJSnow (edited 12-20-2003).]

As per the other post work with some on-line tutors.

Also if you don’t want to spend a lot of money to start out. DEV-C++ is a good free C/C++ compiler, made by bloodshed software.

Also a good 3D video card must

Originally posted by Graphics Wannabee:
I am new to Graphics programming, but not C++. I have had three courses in calculus and some courses in discrete structures and Linear Algebra and algorithms. What would be the best book to start me in the OpenGL programming without any graphics programming experience? I’ve looked at reviews on Francis S. Hill’s book and one review said that the book was half-finished.