OpenGL32.dll Problem

Hello,

I have had some problems with the OpenGL32.dll file provided for Windows 98 SE. The problem I have is that when I try to execute a program using OpenGL, it gives me the following error:

“The OPENGL32.DLL file is linked to missing export GDI32.DLL:GdiSwapBuffers.”

I have done some research of how to solve this problem, and I found that Microsoft created an OpenGL32.dll update for Win98 here:

ftp://ftp2.camsoft.com/support/outgoing/opengl/opengl.exe

and after I installed the new DLL, it does not give me the GdiSwapBuffers Error, but it now gives me an error that glGenTextures and glBindTexutre cannot be found in the updated OpenGL32.dll:

“The file is linked to missing export OPENGL32.DLL:glBindTexture”

How can this problem be fixed? Is there an updated OpenGL32.dll I can download for Win98?
Thank You for any help.

• VC6-OGL

I think i’ll post this in the User Software section.

• VC6-OGL

Hi,

Are You including the file
#include <wingdi.h>
?

yaro

Hello glYaro,

No I am not including <wingdi.h>, so should I, will it actually help?

• VC6-OGL

Wait…I thought that wingdi was included with windows.h . I mean when you put the #include <windows.h> statement after the opengl header include statements, you get a lot of GDI errors. Once you put #include <windows.h> on top again, everythign works.

Are you using the SwapBuffers(HDC) call or something else to swap buffers?

• Halcyon

Hello HalcyonBlaze,

Yes I am using SwapBuffers(HDC), but everytime I try opening a program that Swaps Buffers in Windows98 it goes really slow, but if I execute it in Windows2000 it runs real smooth. My main question is, why do the OpenGL Screensaver provided by Microsoft, for example 3D Pipes, have a really nice refresh speed, and my screensaver don’t?

• VC6-OGL

What kind of things are you doing? I mean the microsoft OpenGL screensavers aren’t much in terms of OpenGL.

• Halcyon

Hello HalcyonBlaze,

So what you are saying is that they are doing most of their screensaver using Win32 Programming not OpenGL?

• VC6-OGL

Well not quite. What i meant is that a lot of the 3rd party OpenGL Screesavers these days are full of texture mapping, particle effects, music, etc. The OpenGL screensavers that come with windows aren’t that OpenGL intensive. I mean they don’t do anything more intensive than drawing a few relatively low polygon shapes on the screen. Most of the screen is just blank. The exception is probably the pipes screensaver.

I was trying to say in my last post, that maybe your screensaver is slower because it’s just using a lot more OpenGL features than the windows 98 ones. But that probably doesn’t make TOO much sense .

Have you tried getting the latest video card drivers on the windows 98 machine? The OpenGL drivers windows offers support OpenGL 1.1. If you get the latest drivers for video card, they will supply gl and dx drivers along with the drivers for the card. Not only will they support OpenGL 1.4, but also work more harmoniously with your video card than the generic windows default OpenGL drivers.

• Halcyon

Note: When i first bought XP pro and installed it, a spinning cube made the FPS drop to about 20 fps. A non-textured, non-lit, non-everything cube. I was pretty shocked. But I went to Nvidia’s site and updated my drivers for the GF2 MX and everything worked well again!