linking problem : unresolved symbol __ftol2

hi, I’m a new to openGL (I gave goodbye to dx8 :slight_smile: ), so I just wanted to compile a sample code from the red book with opengl shipped with ms platform sdk, but I get strange linking error (i’m using ms vc6)
glaux.lib(tk.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __ftol2 ,
does anyone know where is it from ?
of course, it’s no fatal error, cause I can comment out the aux procs and go on without the whole aux lib, but that would slow me down considerably … :frowning:

What version of the Redbook do you have and page number in which the example is listed.

Originally posted by tachyon_eagle:
hi, I’m a new to openGL (I gave goodbye to dx8 :slight_smile: ), so I just wanted to compile a sample code from the red book with opengl shipped with ms platform sdk, but I get strange linking error (i’m using ms vc6)
glaux.lib(tk.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __ftol2 ,
does anyone know where is it from ?
of course, it’s no fatal error, cause I can comment out the aux procs and go on without the whole aux lib, but that would slow me down considerably … :frowning:

I’ve got the red book from http://fly.cc.fer.hr/~unreal/theredbook/ ,
but no matter which sample code I try to compile, I get the same unresolved symbol.

Anyway, I found that GLUT library comes with all those samples rewritten, so they use glut functions and they compile and link fine.

Now I shall use GLUT rather than glaux, but I wonder, what’s wrong.

AUX is dead. Long live GLUT!

I just started seeing this same issue arise in some (non red book) example code. I am also using VC6. I’ve never had this issue before. I’m wondering whether or not I need to update some of my windows libraries?

I play with MASM - I don’t use any IDE (I like troubles!)

Got that error too… “unresolved symbol _ftol2” while linking.

I found the damn function into libc.lib (big lib - over 2mb) from the Windows XP DDK. Maybe it’s available elsewhere, I don’t know (?)

Seems to work pretty well. I can now assemble the first of the NeHe’s tutorials: creating the rendering context :wink:

I think that ftol2 is a old function, use along with glaux. But since glaux is no longer supported, this function must have been dropped from the MS standard library of includes shipped with VC6. It still could be hidding somewhere on the resource CD, but I am not sure.

Best way to get around this is to not use the glaux library, but use something like GLUT.