GLUT and Windows 2000

I’m new to OpenGL and I am experiencing some problems.

I have created some OpenGL examples on an NT machine using MS Visual C++ and GLUT. However when I execute them on my Windows 2000 machine they bomb out.

I think it may be that the glut32.dll (GLUT 3.6) does not work with Windows 2000.

Does anyone know if there is a version of GLUT which will work on Windows 2000 platform? Can anybody offer any suggestions?

I have searched the SGI and other sites, but have not yet turned anything up.
I would really appreciate any help.

Many Thanks,

David

3.6 works fine on my video cards (G200 and Radeon). 3.7 causes problems with fullscreen mode.

Are you sure you’re using the correct import library for your version of the glut32.dll?

Paul.

Not sure.

I created the examples last week on a course, so I’m not sure which version we used.

I have downloaded GLUT 3.6, including libraries and header files. I have installed these etc…, but the exes still do not appear to work. I’ll download them again and re-install (may work). I think that GLUT library pulls in the Open GL libraries e.g. gl.h etc…

I have also noticed that sample OpenGL programs from Borland do not work either.

Any suggestions?

David

I am using glut 3.7.2 on my Windows 2000 box with a GeForce 2 and it works like a dream. I don’t know anything about Borland so I can’t really help there. Have you tried to get your debugger to isolate what command is causing the problem? Have you tried downloading a tried and true glut demo and running it? Go check out some of the demos at http://oglchallenge.otri.net/ . Look for ones that list glut.dll as a required external library.

Originally posted by david_callaghan:
[b]I’m new to OpenGL and I am experiencing some problems.

I have created some OpenGL examples on an NT machine using MS Visual C++ and GLUT. However when I execute them on my Windows 2000 machine they bomb out.

I think it may be that the glut32.dll (GLUT 3.6) does not work with Windows 2000.

Does anyone know if there is a version of GLUT which will work on Windows 2000 platform? Can anybody offer any suggestions?

I have searched the SGI and other sites, but have not yet turned anything up.
I would really appreciate any help.

Many Thanks,

David[/b]

I had the same problem with Win2k and GLUT 3.7.2.

The way I fixed it was to add the *.lib
in the following order (in MS VC++ 6.0)
glut32.lib glu32.lib opengl32.lib
If that does not work try this makefile
for MS VC++ 6.0

Makefile for MS Visual C++ 6.0

!include <ntwin32.mak>
#compiler stuff
CFLAGS = (cdebug) -DWIN32 -nologo -w #libraries to link. If need to use MUI just #add mui.lib LIBS = glut32.lib glu32.lib opengl32.lib (guilibs)

#Here you write the name of the executable #to be created, which is the same name
#as the source but with the .exe extension. #You can compile several programs at the #same time.
#Just type their names separated by spaces.
EXES = mesh2.exe

#Compile all that was defined in EXES
all : $(EXES)

#Compile *.c or *.cpp files and create *.exe #file by linking with LIBS
.c.exe:
(CC) (CFLAGS) -c &lt; (link) (linkdebug) -nologo -out:@ *.obj (LIBS)

#Delete garbage.
clean:
del -F *.obj *.pdb *.ilk

#Like clean but deletes executable.
cleanAll:

del -F *.exe *.obj *.pdb *.ilk

To execute the makefile, type nmake in a console window.
I hope this helps.

Guillermo Vargas
gvc@fern.csustan.edu

I’ve tried the makefile and library ordering, but it did not work.

I’ve ran the MS Visual C++ debugger and the code is failing on the call:
glutCreateWindow(…)

It fails with the error:
“failed to create OpenGL rendering context”

The debugger then list all the libraries which are referenced with the following:
e.g. glut32.dll : No matching symbolic information found

Could it be something to do with the video card? I have seen lots of messages on the board about problems with OpenGL supported cards.

I really appreciate the help you guys are giving.

David