glOrtho and depth buffer

I want to draw a 3d model and a texture mapped quad in 3d space. The model is transformed according to glTranslate and glRotate data. The quad will be displayed using glOrtho, because it will play the role of a hanging poster. The only problem is, that even if I enable depth test, the poster will always hide the model, even if the model is between the viewer and the poster.
The steps of drawing are the following:

1. Set up the camera:
    gluPerspective( GLOBAL_CAM.fov, 1.3, 2.0, 1500.0 );
    gluLookAt(GLOBAL_CAM.x, GLOBAL_CAM.y, GLOBAL_CAM.z,
    GLOBAL_CAM.target_x, GLOBAL_CAM.target_y, GLOBAL_CAM.target_z,
    0,1,0);

2. Draw the poster:
    glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);
    glPushMatrix();
    glLoadIdentity();

glOrtho(0,screen_w,screen_h,0, -1000,1000);

glMatrixMode( GL_MODELVIEW );
glPushMatrix();
glLoadIdentity();

glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST); //needed (?) to use depth
glDisable(GL_LIGHTING);

glEnable(GL_BLEND);
glBlendFunc(GL_SRC_ALPHA,GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA);
glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, tex);

glBegin(GL_QUADS);
glNormal3f(0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f);
glTexCoord2f(0, 1);
//z should be the distance between the viewer and the poster (z=1000). The model is about 200-300 units from the cam away
glVertex3d(x1, y1, z);
glTexCoord2f(0, 0);
glVertex3d(x1, y2, z);
glTexCoord2f(1, 0);
glVertex3d( x2, y2, z);
glTexCoord2f(1, 1);
glVertex3d( x2, y1, z);
glEnd();

glEnable(GL_LIGHTING);
glDisable(GL_BLEND);

glPopMatrix();
glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);
glPopMatrix();

1. Draw the model (no ortho used.)

How is it possible to use ortho as a ‘normal’ depth sorted 3d object?

Thank you in advance

Hello,

Don’t disable depth testing. If you use an orthographical projection that doesn’t mean that you no longer need perform depth tests.

Wolf.

I haven’t disabled depth test. At least, I don’t see, where I did it… :slight_smile:
I have found the problem’s root, but it’s more than strange for me. If anyone could explain it, why it works like this, I would be very pleased…

Imagine the above code, but I changed ortho like this:
glOrtho(0,en.screen_w,en.screen_h,0, 0,1000);
The z value of the poster is -340 (!). if I set Near to 0 and Far to 1000, it shouldn’t be visible, but it is there. If I set it to 340, it disappears. But 340 is between 0 and 1000.
I don’t understand.

Not sure on this, but here’s a guess.

I think the values for z near and z far are in terms of the projection/camera’s (which specifically is one of the things i’m not sure of) z axis.

Also, with a 3D projection (this might apply to ortho too, I can see no reason why it wouldn’t in fact, but again, i’m not sure), you look down the negative Z axis, by default.

So, if the projection/camera’s z axis has a negative Z component, and you’re looking down the negative z axis, then a positive value of zfar is going to produce a negative vaule in world space coordinates, which, if your vertices are also in world space coordinates, will result in negative vertex z values being visible (all else being equal).

Sorry this reply is a bit convoluted… :slight_smile:

CJ