Glut only for learning ????

I am confused on the use of glut, in some sites is said that single it is for learning and does not intented for professional development…¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

What do you think abaut it…

Hi !

I depends what you mean by “professional” applications… :stuck_out_tongue:

Some games are made in glut, as long as you don’t need any fance GUI stuff GLUT is ok, it does have popup menus and a few things like that though.

The nice things with glut is that it works on many platforms and it hides all the OS GUI dependent stuff for you.

With that said, there are GUI support libraries for glut to (like glui)…

There are of course other alternatives, there is a “free” implementation of glut, there is also SDL.

Mikael

As stated above, I think glut can be useful to test some things quickly without having to write all the boring app setup code.
glut is heavily used for tutorials. It is also used by some barebones implementations of scientific papers.

On the other hand, you won’t find glut used in any major shipping game or CAD program. It simply lacks flexibility for such huge projects (like any ‘wrapping’ library). Programmers often write their own wrapping code, which suits exactly their needs. Plus using a third party library can be a concern as it makes you dependent on the others work. What if a bug is found in this third party lib? You can’t fix it yourself, but your customers are unhappy with you app having problems (they don’t care if it’s in your own code or in third party code).

I totally agree with kehziah.

In addition , GLUT development has been stopped for quite a long time by its author, and it is known (and I’ve witnessed it) that GLUT isn’t stable enough for production software. IMHO, it’s far faster to use GLFW, SDL or write your own framework than trying to dig into GLUT source code to make it more stable…

g0b

Hi…

Then Opengl is stable and usefull, but Glut isn´t the best option for “heavy” games development…

Thanks to all…