OpenGL problems with new motherboard

I recently installed an ASUS A7V880 motherboard and OpenGL games now will start with a black screen, freeze, and shortly thereafter restart my computor.

I have tried reinstalling drivers several different ways, ive tried the video card on another system and there is no problem, not to mention my old gigabyte motherboard worked fine with OpenGL.

Ive also installed and reinstalled the latest VIA 4-1 drivers,

I have also ensured that my AGP apperature size is correct, but the OpenGL diagnostic program im running ( http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/ ) detects my video card as 256mb when it is a 128mb card.

Is there some motherboard setting i have over looked that could be interfeering with OpenGL and my video card?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like there might be something wrong with your hardware…

You overclocking anything?

nope, no overclocking, everything is the same on my system except the mother board (which is new)

Did you reinstalled Windows after swapping the mobo? If not there is probably an old driver interfering with the new ones.

yea i did reinstall it after i switched the motherboards

So if you run some D3D game, it runs fine?
What’s your video card? What are you running that gives a black screen?
Did you try other programs?

i have a Matrox Parhelia

d3d works fine

ive tried World of Warcraft and Knights of the old Republic (1)

Originally posted by HouseOfLies:
i have a Matrox Parhelia
OMG! You’re not serious? That thing can’t keep up with a Nvidia GeForce4 MX.

The Matrox Parhelia does not meet the minimum requirements to play WOW or KOTOR.

Matrox Parhelia - a POS in 2003

Matrox’s drivers are extremely bad from my last experience which was years ago. I do hear that a lot people have issues with Matrox.

Get Nvidia or ATI.

parhelia ran both games for me flawlessly with my old motherboard.

and nVidia or ATI might be better for straight up gaming, but the features of the parhelia are uncomparable

surround gamming, seemless streched deskop resolution across 3 screens, my computer isnt only used for gaming, mostly graphic design (and the parhelia tests better than even most new cards for 2d graphics)

at any rate, its not the card thats the problem, i have tested it on 2 seperate systems not including my old system and it works fine on them.

like i said, is there some motherboard setting i might be overlooking that could be interfeering with OpenGL and not D3D?

i sure hope its not a screwed up board (just bought this one)

also, i played through the whole of call of duty on my parhelia with all settings on high with not a one performance issue :slight_smile:

not to mention the human eye cant destuguish much beyond 30 fps anyway, thats the speed theatrical movies are shot at, and tv is only 24fps

I see. The settings that can effect a graphics card is the AGP aperature size, sideband addressing, AGP bus speed, concurrency.

“not to mention the human eye cant destuguish much beyond 30 fps anyway, thats the speed theatrical movies are shot at, and tv is only 24fps”

Difference between 30 and 60 is noticeable. If you spin around in your 3D scene, you will see that things look jumpy at 30, even at 60. Beyond 80, it starts looking as fluid as reality itself (if I may say).

Looks like the mobo has some serious problems with the onboard voltage regulator and that will affect AGP voltages as well.

Unfortunatly OpenGL relies on a fully functional and stable AGP implementation to a much further extend then DirectX.

Given the links below I dare say the mobo is a piece of junk (I avoid VIA boards like a plague for good reasons).

http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ATI-ASUS-A7V880-ASUS-Radeon-9600XT-TVD-games-freeze-ftopict52050.html
http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.aspx?catid=15&threadid=63616&STARTPAGE=6&enterthread=y
http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t3225.html

Anyhow this is entriely a crappy hardware issue and not an OpenGL problem.

I would try to refund this POS if I were you.

also, i played through the whole of call of duty on my parhelia with all settings on high with not a one performance issue :slight_smile:
I’ll be sure to let all my 3dFX Voodoo (2-3-4) friends know that you want to join their club. :rolleyes:

(30 fps is a long standing myth as Deguy points out. The human eye can distinguish differences in FPS up to around 72. Much beyond that and you’ve just got extra horsepower ready for tommorrow’s games.)

i think ill try the voltage settings someone suggested in those links, hopefully that works out, im past my 30 day return for the mobo so if i want to return it i have to go through the manufacturer (which will be a pain)

also, i was mistaken about the fps thingy, but the point is moot since i rarely clock under 45fps with my card anyway (im confused regarding tom’s results), and like i said, my system is for design, games are an afterthought (but i love em!)

thanks for the suggestions, ill let you know if i get it workin or not :slight_smile:

ill let you know if i get it workin or not :slight_smile:
That would be cool.

i tried the DDR and VCORE voltages but it didnt help the problem at all.

any other suggestions?

Since you say DX games work fine but GL games don’t, then it sounds more like a software problem.
The matrox drivers are probably screwing up on that mobo. Adjusting voltages won’t help. Contact Matrox (www.matrox.com has a forum).

yeah im talking with them at the same time as this forum

As i said before, your mobo is crap and you should complain to ASUS.

If you choose to stick with this POS then its your own problem.