OpenGL 3.0 Specification ?

Hello. It’s a middle of October. Where is the promised OpenGL 3.0 specification at the end of September? Does anyone knows when it will be finally released to public? :confused: Thanks

Does anyone knows when it will be finally released to public?
No.

Sadly there hasn’t even been a single murmur on when the draft spec will be released, let alone the mysterious final spec… I can only hope they’re not fumbling the ball for IHVs - I’d be very VERY disappointed if the IHVs haven’t got a draft spec by now.

May be they are waiting for hardware vendors prepare their drivers?

May be it(OpenGL3.0 spec) will released together with the newest GPU G92

May be it(OpenGL3.0 spec) will released together with the newest GPU G92
So, why would the entire ARB hold up the release of a specification just because of the release of one GPU from one company?

It does make sense that they might be holding out until the big guys (AMD, NVIDIA, and Intel) have at least beta drivers, though. If the driver writers have had access to draft specs, it’s not inconceivable.

It does make sense that they might be holding out until the big guys (AMD, NVIDIA, and Intel) have at least beta drivers, though.
That would make sense (though some of us might appreciate a GL3 wrapper over GL2 in the meantime). But it’d be nice if they actually told us that this is what they’re doing…

Originally posted by Korval:
[quote]It does make sense that they might be holding out until the big guys (AMD, NVIDIA, and Intel) have at least beta drivers, though.
That would make sense (though some of us might appreciate a GL3 wrapper over GL2 in the meantime). But it’d be nice if they actually told us that this is what they’re doing…
[/QUOTE]Delaying until hardware vendors release drivers makes no sense - a software implementation from Mesa would be perfectly sufficient. Unfortunately there is no indication Mesa are working on something like this.

In any case, this silence is not very good for Khrono’s image. My guess is that they have hit last minute objections/problems and they are revising the specs. An official statement would help - right now one can only hope that the actual release will take place soon.

Unfortunately with tis being friday I’m very much doubting we’ll see anything before next week.

The silence was all well and good when the spec was being worked on, we didn’t want to rush them and every now and then someone would say something. Also, we all knew that SIGGRAPH was the target.

Well, SIGGRAPH came and went and ‘end of auguest’ was throw about as a possible time for them finishing it with just ‘a few more issues’ to work out. Of course, there was the 30 day internal Khronos evaulation period, so no one expected it then, so we were happy to wait.

Now, as we start reaching towards the end of October, it’s starting to seem more and more like the old ARB Stone Wall days are back; I don’t think anyone is asking for the spec right this instant, however with the noise made about better communiction and the news letters a word would be nice about whats going on.

Heck, for all we know the spec was completed, it went into review, someone objected right towards the end of the review period so changes are having to be made before its resubmitted for another 30 days meaning it’ll be late Nov. before anything appears.

Worse yet, maybe those ‘few minor points’ still haven’t been resolved.

It would just be nice to know; OpenGL3.0 was meant to be some wonderful new start, however from those looking in from the outside it just looks like more of the same - nice words, no action and silence.

Delaying until hardware vendors release drivers makes no sense - a software implementation from Mesa would be perfectly sufficient.
Um, for who? I, for one, will not code to a purely software implementation of any renderer, particularly one that is fundamentally rooted in programmability. Such a thing isn’t even useful for prototyping.

Furthermore, Mesa implementations take time too. Indeed, I would suggest that a full Mesa implementation would take longer than IHVs, because they have to get the backend renderer working. IHVs just have to hook it up to the hardware.

Well, SIGGRAPH came and went and ‘end of auguest’ was throw about as a possible time for them finishing it
The only timeframe I heard after SIGGRAPH was the end of September. They said that they would finalize the open issues at the end of August, but agreement on issues doesn’t mean that there’s an actual specification. That still takes time to write, compiling all of the information into the correct format and so forth.

Hmmm, I see you point although, to be fair, the slide from the BoF does say “the spec is almost ready” which would imply it was already pretty much compiled into the correct format.

( link to pdf , pg 9 has the relavent bit on it)

Originally posted by Korval:
[QB] [quote]Delaying until hardware vendors release drivers makes no sense - a software implementation from Mesa would be perfectly sufficient.
Um, for who? I, for one, will not code to a purely software implementation of any renderer, particularly one that is fundamentally rooted in programmability. Such a thing isn’t even useful for prototyping.[/QUOTE]Ok, not for you :slight_smile: Peronally, I find it extremely useful for cross-platform development on virtual machines and funny thing, it works much better than IHV implementations - actually conforms to the spec, GLSL and all.

In any case IHVs should have been working on drivers for some while now (with a bit of luck and good will). Let’s hope this silence is just the calm before the storm.

I hope OpenGL 3.0 didn’t die before it got released. This silence is not a good sign however.

Does ARB has some e-mail which could be used to contact them for this question? It’s almost month of delay :frowning: It looks that Kronos group cannot manage too many projects, was better keep ARB group where it was.

Apprently we should be getting something ‘soon’ based on what the web master said in another thread on here…

I’m hoping ‘soon’ is days and not weeks…