my firegl 2 card and 4x4 evolution game don't get along

I have a video card that only supports OpenGL, It’s a Diamond FireGL 2. Every time I try to play 4X4 Evolution, I get a black screen, and the only way I can get back to Windows 2000 SP1 is by pressing the escape key. I went to the file called metal.ini, found in the terminal reality>4X4 evolution>system folder. I figured that this was the only way I could change the video settings to the game since I can’t change the video settings in the game’s options screen due to the black screen that prevents me from making the changes to the video options within the game itself. The main thing that I wanted to change in this file was the useDirect3D line from 1 to zero, since my video card doesn’t support directX, I also changed the line that says, “rendererDLLPath” to openGL32.dll, thinking that since my card only supports openGL that changing this setting might do the trick, it didn’t. The video card is an AGP card.
Here are my computer specs.: video card= Diamond FireGL2, 64 meg DDR for video, Pentium 4 running at 1.4 Ghz, 512 ram, the video card and monitor support 1600X1200 resolution and only True color (32 bit), Their is no possibility of choosing anything more or less than True color (32 bit). monitor=21"

Here is the graphics portion of the Metal.ini file (found in the terminal reality>4X4 evolution>system folder).

[Graphics]
airShadowFlag=2
currentBoard=0
ditherFlag=1
drawDetailTexture=1
filterFlag=1
firstTimeFlag=0
gameBPP=32
gamePIXX=640
gamePIXY=480
groundShadowFlag=1
headlightFlag=1
lensFlareFlag=1
maxD3DTextures=64
reflectionFlag=0
rendererDLLPath=OPENGL32.dll
syncRetrace=1
truckReflectionFlag=0
useAGPFlag=1
useDirect3D=0
useRandomWeather=0
visibleTiles=20
waterWakeFlag=0

The game says it supports opengl, but I can’t get into the game’s video options, to tell it to run off of opengl, because of the black screen.

Can’t give you specific advice (don’t have the game), but I think that using opengl32.dll in the rendererDLLPath would be the wrong thing to do. First of all, my guess would be that it’s a path, that is, a directory, not a file. Secondly, it’s probably where the rendering code of the game is, not the OpenGL library.