GeForce 256 LockUps : A SOLUTION !

Hi there !

I have finally found a solution to my ELSA Erazor X2 lockups…

First : I can’t certify that this will work for all of those who have the same problem.

I just downloaded the latest version of PowerStrip at : http://www.reactorcritical.com/

After installing it, use : “Graphics System Information” (it’s an “I” icon) then “Windows” and then “Details”.

You now have a Dialog Box which enables you to change your AGP transfer rate. Mine was set on 2x and setting it on 1x solved all the problems.

Of course, there must be a performance hit but I have just played Quake III in 1152x860 with full details and it is still VERY VERY fast !

If someone knows how to change the AGP transfer rate directly with Windows, I would be grateful (I do not want to use PowerStrip !).

I hope this will help some of you !

Cheers.

Eric

P.S. : my config is Dual Pentium III 600Mhz 512Mb. The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-6BXDU. The card is an ELSA Erazor X2 32Mb. I run Windows NT 4.0 SP6a. The drivers I am using are the Detonator 3.75 for NT (unofficial release).

I forgot to mention : some games worked very well before I had to find this trick (SOF Demo and Quake II Demo for example). But Quake III kept freezing.

I believe this is a driver issue although some motheboards seem to have difficulties handling GeForce products (especially Gigabyte ones !).

If someone from nVidia reads this, please have a look…

Eric