"ERROR: Q3View_StartRendering Failed" when running BugDom

Can anyone help with this?!!

I’ve just installed BugDom from Pangea Software. I’m running Windows/95 OSR2, and have used GLsetup to update my video drivers (ATI Rage Pro) to the latest level.

Whenever I try to run BugDom, I receive the error:

ERROR: Q3View_StartRendering Failed!
-and then-
Q3Style_Submit Failed

Can anyone help me out on figuring out what is wrong. The tech support folks for Bugdom emailed me and said to update to the latest version of OpenGL. I thought V1.1 was the latest version, and came with win/95 OS/R2. I downloaded opengl95.exe anyway, uncompressed it, but all the DLL’s and LIBs were the same size/date of my existing files.

Help!!! Thanks so much!
-Kevin-

Originally posted by kevinp:
[b]Can anyone help with this?!!

I’ve just installed BugDom from Pangea Software. I’m running Windows/95 OSR2, and have used GLsetup to update my video drivers (ATI Rage Pro) to the latest level.

-and then-
Q3Style_Submit Failed

Can anyone help me out on figuring out what is wrong. The tech support folks for Bugdom emailed me and said to update to the latest version of OpenGL. I thought V1.1 was the latest version, and came with win/95 OS/R2. I downloaded opengl95.exe anyway, uncompressed it, but all the DLL’s and LIBs were the same size/date of my existing files.

Help!!! Thanks so much!
-Kevin-
[/b]

I have same problem…have you found a solution??

No, have not yet found the answer. I’ve been working with ODI support. Have upgraded my video drivers, etc. I believe the Q3V_Startrendering is part of Apple’s quicktime DirectDraw 3D software. Even upgraded this to version 4, no luck. If anyone has any thoughts, I’d appreciate an email at rcplane@yahoo.com

Thanks.

[b]Can anyone help with this?!!

-and then-
Q3Style_Submit Failed

Help!!! Thanks so much!
-Kevin-
[/b]

Same problem here only on Windows ME. I have updated the Rage Pro drivers to the latest “uncertified” version with OpenGL support, updated QuickTime (which as you noted is where the error is being generated), and updated to DirectX 8. Support has been useless since all they could offer was to defrag the drive and re-install. Haven’t heard back since I told them that wouldn’t solve anything. The only thing I can say is that there is hope. It runs on my laptop which is running Windows 98 using a Rage Pro LT (same as Rage Pro but for laptops), and DirectX 7. Other than the DirectX version, I haven’t had time to find any other differences. I will let you know if I find something.

We’re having the same problem on Windows 98 with three error messages: “cannot create a primary sound buffer, sound is disabled”, then “error Q3view start rendering failed” and “Q3 Style submit failed.” Our six year old got the game for Christmas and really wants to play!! We are not terribly computer literate and haven’t even figured out which openGL to download after Bugdom support suggested that we do so. So if you guys figure it out, we would really appreciate you letting us know! Thanks!!

Originally posted by larsonja:
Same problem here only on Windows ME. I have updated the Rage Pro drivers to the latest “uncertified” version with OpenGL support, updated QuickTime (which as you noted is where the error is being generated), and updated to DirectX 8. Support has been useless since all they could offer was to defrag the drive and re-install. Haven’t heard back since I told them that wouldn’t solve anything. The only thing I can say is that there is hope. It runs on my laptop which is running Windows 98 using a Rage Pro LT (same as Rage Pro but for laptops), and DirectX 7. Other than the DirectX version, I haven’t had time to find any other differences. I will let you know if I find something.

I also had problems with BUGDOM on my Win 98-SE / 3DFX Voodoo3 2000 system. When I tried to use GLsetup it totally screwed up my video.

To fix it I had to remove the GLsetup, set my video back to Standard VGA, manually remove the bad registry entries and the .INF file in WIN/INF/OTHER, reboot, re-install the latest 3dfx drivers (1.07), reboot, re-install DIRECTX (make sure you have ver 7.0a or higher), and reboot again. All that just to undo the damage that GLsetup had done.

In the end, it turned out that all I needed to do was to set my resolution to 640 x 480 x 16 bit before running BUGDOM - then it worked just fine. (that’s what you get when you try to run a game made for the MAC on a PC… oh well!)

GLsetup (even the new one from the web) doesn’t seem to cut it… (at least not for me).

Check to see if your video card’s drivers have built in OpenGL support. It has to be full ICD level support, or the game probably won’t work (miniGL-type drivers will definitely not work).

Originally posted by richard:
[b] I also had problems with BUGDOM on my Win 98-SE / 3DFX Voodoo3 2000 system. When I tried to use GLsetup it totally screwed up my video.

To fix it I had to remove the GLsetup, set my video back to Standard VGA, manually remove the bad registry entries and the .INF file in WIN/INF/OTHER, reboot, re-install the latest 3dfx drivers (1.07), reboot, re-install DIRECTX (make sure you have ver 7.0a or higher), and reboot again. All that just to undo the damage that GLsetup had done.

In the end, it turned out that all I needed to do was to set my resolution to 640 x 480 x 16 bit before running BUGDOM - then it worked just fine. (that’s what you get when you try to run a game made for the MAC on a PC… oh well!)

GLsetup (even the new one from the web) doesn’t seem to cut it… (at least not for me).

Check to see if your video card’s drivers have built in OpenGL support. It has to be full ICD level support, or the game probably won’t work (miniGL-type drivers will definitely not work).

[/b]

Like you, I am running Windows 98 but I never used GLsetup because the disclaimers and parade of horribles scared me off…as you suggested, I checked my resolution and it was set already to what you recommended. How did you check your video card’s drivers to see if they have OpenGL support? I have never installed any 3dfx drivers or OpenGL, as advised by Bugdom support, because I’m really not sure how to do it without running GLsetup. Thanks for your input!

Originally posted by pegjohn:

Like you, I am running Windows 98 but I never used GLsetup because the disclaimers and parade of horribles scared me off…as you suggested, I checked my resolution and it was set already to what you recommended. How did you check your video card’s drivers to see if they have OpenGL support? I have never installed any 3dfx drivers or OpenGL, as advised by Bugdom support, because I’m really not sure how to do it without running GLsetup. Thanks for your input!

What specific video card do you have?

Originally posted by richard:
What specific video card do you have?
I have no idea; I have never even heard of a video card before wrestling with Bugdom. How do I check? Are you actually able to play Bugdom on Windows 98 with all of the computer genius stuff you have done?! Peggy

Here’s the stuff from the manual: we have a 2X AGP Graphics card, an ATI Rage LT Pro with up to 8 MB and a 100 MHz Sync Graphics Memory. Thanks!

doesn’t sound good… both kevinp and larsonja (the first people who had problems) have the same card as you do and couldn’t get it to work.

you could try installing the latest version of OpenGL from http://www.glsetup.com but I am not sure if that will help…

Their drivers didn’t help me, but info from their website helped me figure out the problem I was having (the Voodoo3 ICD does not draw if a game uses the OpenGL command DirectDraw::SetDisplayMode to switch the display mode).

Sorry I can’t help any more…

Unfortunately, PC hardware in general and Microsoft Windows have never provided good support for OpenGL. That’s why very few games use it.

Are you actually able to play Bugdom on Windows 98 with all of the computer genius stuff you have done?! Peggy

Actually, Bugdom is for my 10 year old son (who plays it all the time on his grandfather’s MAC). I tend to spend all my free time playing Diablo-2.

You said earlier that you had a six-year old. I would highly recomend the kids games from Humongous Entertainment (like Putt-Putt, Freddy Fish, Pajama Sam, etc.) My son had a blast with them when he was that age.

You can find them pretty cheap these days. I saw a package deal last week at Comp-USA with 3 H.E. games in it for about $10-15.

Good luck…