View Full Version : Tutorials, Books for OpenGL Beginner ??

01-11-2018, 01:14 AM
Hi all,

Please recommend me beginners tutorials and Books. I am reasonably comfortable in C++. I know my computer supports OpenGL 4.1.

OpenGL Super Bible 5th edition is a good start ? It support 3.3 which is considered modern OpenGL I believe ?

From this link I can get OpenGL 4 Shading Language Cookbook at reasonable price but some mentioned here are using older version which is of no use anymore.

01-11-2018, 08:52 PM
This one resource has been invaluable for my getting started:

And it's motivated me to make a video tutorial channel on youtube to go along with it, plus I'm using other references as well:

I'm currently working towards a 2D Top Down / 2D Platformer Combo, and will be documenting the entire coding in OpenGL on this youtube channel.

If you have anything in particular that you wish to request a video for, please do so, and even though I am a beginner / intermediate, I will try my best to produce said video!

01-12-2018, 02:04 AM
This one resource has been invaluable for my getting started:

I can absolutely agree on this one. And on top of that, there's also a free book version of the website:

It's a very friendly introduction - I am currently in the chapter about lighting!

Best of luck,

01-12-2018, 11:14 AM
Thanks. I downloaded the sample code from this tutorial and got it running http://www.opengl-tutorial.org/ I have also seen and downloaded the pdf from learnopengl.com tutorial.

GLFW seems to be more popular. Is it worth learning SDL or using freeGLUT ? Superbible 5th edition for some reason using GLUT.

Making videos will definitely be helpful not only to me but all newbies. I have seen some of your videos :)

01-12-2018, 01:57 PM
I am working in C#, so I cannot tell you what library is better.

For now however,I don't think it matters what library you choose. if I'm correct the OpenGL Book uses GLFW - if you're going with the OpenGL book then i'd suggest using that too to avoid unnecessary confusion and frustration.

01-13-2018, 07:34 PM
I've actually found that recording my screen to make videos for people is better than streaming and programming (I did that for a while...). It sort of focuses my concentration, and it's easier to get things done, I find.

P.S. Thanks for watching!