PDA

View Full Version : ARB_bindless_texture on AMD 7970

pettersson
08-05-2017, 01:30 AM
Hi,

I have built a small renderer using GL_ARB_bindless_texture. It works fine on NVidia (GTX970) but binding a texture handle to a sampler results in the following error on my HD7970 (Windows 10, newest drivers).

glUniformHandleui64ARB has failed to set the uniform at location '0': the uniform's type, component size, or matrix dimensions are incompatible with the function variant (GL_INVALID_OPERATION)

As a test, I just draw a fullscreen quad with a texture applied to it. I checked with glewinfo, the GPU should support the extension.

The shader has a sampler2D uniform, and I set it using glUniformHandleui64ARB. I created a texture (2d), got the handle and made it resident without errors. The handle itself looks valid as well, it's not zero :) When using the non-bindless way, it works, so the texture itself is ok as well.

Anyone has encountered a similar problem maybe?

I also tried setting the handle as uvec2 and then creating a sampler2D object when sampling the texture, with the same error message.

Regards
pettersson

pettersson
08-05-2017, 05:48 AM
So I managed to find the error myself. In the shader, I was missing 'bindless_sampler' in the layout specifier. Looks like Nvidia drivers are a bit more generous :)

bootstrap
08-30-2017, 05:20 PM
Can you confirm that AMD GPUs support bindless textures? Not the old NV extension but the newish ARB version that has at least a chance to go core someday? Thanks.

Dark Photon
08-30-2017, 07:31 PM
So I managed to find the error myself. In the shader, I was missing 'bindless_sampler' in the layout specifier. Looks like Nvidia drivers are a bit more generous

That's generally the case with most such issues (NVidia GL drivers more permissive than AMD's).

Can you confirm that AMD GPUs support bindless textures? Not the old NV extension but the newish ARB version that has at least a chance to go core someday? Thanks.

Looks like it. See for yourself:

* Radeon RX 580 Series OpenGL Capabilities Report (http://opengl.gpuinfo.org/gl_generatereport.php?reportID=2096) (gpuinfo.org)

Alfonse Reinheart
08-30-2017, 07:36 PM

I'd like to answer that question, but first I'd have to be able to read it ;)

In any case, the OpenGL Hardware Database keeps a fairly up-to-date record of these things, and it suggests that there are many AMD cards that support bindless textures (http://opengl.gpuinfo.org/gl_listreports.php?listreportsbyextension=GL_ARB_b indless_texture).

bootstrap
08-30-2017, 10:38 PM
Oh! That's freaking awesome !!!!!

The more I read about array textures, the more it looked like I couldn't accomplish what I wanted with array textures.

BTW... I'll try to stick to the default font and colors when I ask any question you might reply to. Because I definitely want you to be able to read my messages, and in the mood to reply to them (even without special reading glasses). /nosarcasm