PDA

View Full Version : gl_PointCoord anyone?

OceanJeff40
05-21-2017, 02:54 PM
Hey all,

I'm working on a new series, experimenting with Point Sprites.

I've got this line in my code to enable point sizes in the shader:

glEnable(GL_PROGRAM_POINT_SIZE);

I've also got this line in the vertex shader:

gl_PointSize = 30.0f;

And I'm using the gl_PointCoord.x and gl_PointCoord.y in the fragment shader, and I can't get it to do anything.

I've tried discarding point greater than a certain value.... nothing. Less than a certain value..... nothing.

Any ideas on making something? Anything? with gl_PointCoord?? I just want to play around, literally anything would be great, even something simple (which is what I thought I was trying).

Alright, thanks,

Jeff

arekkusu
05-21-2017, 03:09 PM
Do you understand when gl_PointCoord is undefined?

OceanJeff40
05-21-2017, 09:25 PM
Do you understand when gl_PointCoord is undefined?

Maybe that's the part I'm missing. When is it undefined? I haven't seen any documentation on this, and I've googled a bunch.......

Any help would be appreciated, especially if you have an example of how to work with this built in variable.

Thanks,

Jeff

arekkusu
05-22-2017, 08:59 AM
Read the documentation (https://khronos.org/registry/OpenGL/index_gl.php), specifically the GLSL specification that defines gl_PointCoord:

If the current primitive is not a point, or if point sprites are not enabled, then the values read fromgl_PointCoord are undefined.

Next question: do you understand how to enable point sprites?

OceanJeff40
05-22-2017, 12:23 PM
Point Sprites are enabled by default, there is no setting to enable point sprites:

My intellisense shows just this:

GL_POINT_SIZE
GL_POINT_SIZE_GRANULARITY
GL_POINT_SIZE_RANGE
GL_POINT_SPRITE_COORD_ORIGIN

there is no constant for GL_POINT_SPRITE

So, nobody has even a small example of manipulating this built in variable?

I'm not surprised.... since the example from the book that I'm studying didn't work, maybe the feature is deprecated.

I hope not,
Jeff

OceanJeff40
05-22-2017, 01:20 PM
This is the video series that I was going to do, I've done the first video, the rest was going to be tinkering with this built-in variable, but I don't think it's working.....

and I can't find any sample code on making it work either.... but I will....I must.... for I am a ...... hobby programmer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73XoxNQ4WNc&t=3s

Jeff

arekkusu
05-22-2017, 02:14 PM
Point Sprites are enabled by default

That's true in a core profile GL context, or in ES2, ES3, or WebGL.
But it's not true in a compatibility profile GL context, or in ES1.

So, what context profile are you using? And do your included headers match your context profile?

I can't find any sample code on making it work either

It took me three minutes to write and test a complete, minimal, working example using gl_PointCoord:

//
// gl_PointCoord
//
// cc sprite.c -framework OpenGL -framework GLUT -Wno-deprecated-declarations -o sprite && ./sprite
//

#include <GLUT/glut.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

GLint prog;

void reshape(int w, int h)
{
glViewport(0, 0, w, h);
}

void display(void)
{
glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT);

glBegin(GL_POINTS);
glVertex2f(0, 0);
glEnd();

glutSwapBuffers();
glutPostRedisplay();
}

void init(void)
{
glPointSize(32);
glEnable(GL_POINT_SPRITE);

const GLchar *src =
"#version 120\n"
"void main() {\n"
" gl_FragColor = vec4(gl_PointCoord, 0.0, 1.0);\n"
"}";

prog = glCreateProgram();
GLuint fs = glCreateShader(GL_FRAGMENT_SHADER);
glShaderSource(fs, 1, &src, NULL);
glCompileShader(fs);
glAttachShader(prog, fs);
glLinkProgram(prog);
glDeleteShader(fs);

glUseProgram(prog);
}

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
glutInit(&argc, argv);
glutInitDisplayString("double rgba");
glutInitWindowSize(480, 320);
glutCreateWindow("Sprite");
glutDisplayFunc(display);
glutReshapeFunc(reshape);

init();
glutMainLoop();
return 0;
}

This uses GLUT and a compatibility profile context. On OSX (GL2.1, Nvidia, Intel, and Software renderers), it produces a black window with one 32x32 sprite in the center. The sprite shows gl_PointCoord as a black->red gradient from left->right, and black->green gradient from top->bottom.

The only interesting part of that code is glEnable(GL_POINT_SPRITE). Commenting that line out results in "undefined" behavior; the sprite changes to all-black on Nvidia and software renderers, and is unchanged on Intel.

OceanJeff40
05-25-2017, 06:02 PM
Anybody else have any other examples of using this? I still haven't gotten this to work for me.

Links to examples would be great too.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

P.S. Perhaps other profiles? etc.

Dark Photon
05-26-2017, 05:57 AM
Anybody else have any other examples of using this? I still haven't gotten this to work for me.

It's been 5 years, but I know I've seen this used in an NVidia example, possibly in their GPU Computing SDK.

I may have an example at home. In the interim, check out the point sprite shaders in the OpenGL Programming Guide (https://www.amazon.com/OpenGL-Programming-Guide-Official-Learning/dp/0134495497/) (9th edition) examples:

* https://github.com/openglredbook/examples/tree/master/bin/media/shaders/pointsprites
* https://github.com/openglredbook/examples/tree/master/src/03-pointsprites