Error while installing freeglut 3.3

I downloaded and extracted freeglut-3.0.0.tar.gz
I than run cmake successfully but by make all it aborted 2/3 of the way with this strange error:

[ 64%] Linking C shared library lib/libglut.so
CMake Error: cmake_symlink_library: System Error: Read-only file system
CMakeFiles/freeglut.dir/build.make:1168: recipe for target 'lib/libglut.so.3.10.0' failed
make[2]: *** [lib/libglut.so.3.10.0] Error 1
make[2]: *** Deleting file 'lib/libglut.so.3.10.0'
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:733: recipe for target 'CMakeFiles/freeglut.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/freeglut.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:127: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

I am logged in as root, so I can’t explain what has happend here. Could it be a problem with the Host Mashine?
Sysem information:
Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64 bit
on VirtualBox 5.1.18
Host: Windows 10 Pro Thinkpad E550

[QUOTE=LSCHM26;1286394]…freeglut-3.0.0.tar.gz
…cmake …make all … aborted … with this strange error:

[ 64%] Linking C shared library lib/libglut.so

I am logged in as root, so I can’t explain what has happend here. Could it be a problem with the Host Mashine?
Sysem information:
Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64 bit
on VirtualBox 5.1.18
Host: Windows 10 Pro Thinkpad E550[/QUOTE]

Yes, that’s my bet too. You’re not really running with root privilege (i.e. in-control of the native OS). You’re root inside of a VM.

These seem to describe your problem:

By the way, you don’t need to be root inside of native Linux to run “make all”. Typically you just need to be root for “make install”, because that installs files in system directories that only root can write to. That’s not going to help you with your problem though.

[QUOTE=Dark Photon;1286398]Yes, that’s my bet too. You’re not really running with root privilege (i.e. in-control of the native OS). You’re root inside of a VM.

These seem to describe your problem:

By the way, you don’t need to be root inside of native Linux to run “make all”. Typically you just need to be root for “make install”, because that installs files in system directories that only root can write to. That’s not going to help you with your problem though.[/QUOTE]

I tried to run Virtualbox as Admin, it didn’t worked.

If you’re not in a case depicted above, you could try this on your destination installation filesystem. For some reasons some of your filesystems might be mounted in read-only.
Also, ensure you’re not running a live-cd (or in live-cd mode for some distros).