PDA

View Full Version : OpenGL ES 3.0: writing to multiple buffers

Utumno
02-21-2017, 06:46 AM
One section of the OpenGL ES 3.0 spec is not completely clear to me.

https://www.khronos.org/registry/OpenGL/specs/es/3.0/es_spec_3.0.pdf, page 185:

If an OpenGL ES Shading Language 1.00 fragment shader writes to gl_FragColor or gl_FragData, DrawBuffers specifies the draw buffer, if any, into which the single fragment color defined by gl_FragColor or gl_FragData[0] is written. If an OpenGL ES Shading Language 3.00 fragment shader writes a user-defined varying out variable, DrawBuffers specifies a set of draw buffers into which each of the multiple output colors defined by these variables are separately written.

I understand this the following way:

1) If I use OpenGL Es 3.0 and write shaders using GLSL 1.0, then the only way I can write to 2 buffers at once (COLOR0 and COLOR1) is to manually specify what gets written to gl_FragData[0] and gl_FragData[1] in my fragment shader. If I then want to get back to writing only to COLOR0, I must switch glPrograms.
2) If on the other hand I use OpenGL ES 3.0 and write my shaders using GLSL 3.0, then I can simply define my output using a single varying out variable, and dynamically switch on and off writing to COLOR1 with calls to DrawBuffers() and with no need to swap glPrograms.

Is the above correct?

GClements
02-21-2017, 04:01 PM
1) If I use OpenGL Es 3.0 and write shaders using GLSL 1.0, then the only way I can write to 2 buffers at once (COLOR0 and COLOR1) is to manually specify what gets written to gl_FragData[0] and gl_FragData[1] in my fragment shader. If I then want to get back to writing only to COLOR0, I must switch glPrograms.

A GLSL ES 1.0 program cannot write to multiple colour buffers.

This isn't a limitation of GLSL ES 1.0 itself, but of the various OpenGL ES versions which might use such a program.

While the gl_FragData[] array was included in the GLSL ES 1.0 specification:

1. OpenGL ES 2.x doesn't have glDrawBuffers() (or any framebuffer colour attachment other than GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0), so there wasn't really much point in having gl_FragData[]. Nothing in the ES 2.x specification says what would happen to a value written to gl_FragData[1].

2. The OpenGL ES 3.x specification basically says that GLSL ES 1.0 shaders are limited to a single colour output (gl_FragColor or gl_FragData[0]) and any other elements of gl_FragData[] are ignored. This provides consistency with such shaders being run under ES 2.x.

Dark Photon
02-22-2017, 06:04 AM
Related to MRTs on OpenGL ES...

I don't know what GPU(s) you're targetting, but since you're developing for GL-ES, it's likely that you're targeting tile-based GPUs. If so, you should consider whether "pixel local storage" and "shader framebuffer fetch" would be useful to you (you may have already). They can save a lot of bandwidth (and memory) when using MRTs on a mobile GPU. Just websearch those terms, and you'll hit several good tutorials.

You can also go straight to the 3 relevant extension specs on the OpenGL ES Registry (https://www.khronos.org/registry/gles). It's probably worth checking whether your driver supports these extensions. If not, ask your GPU vendor(s) how you can be sure to get the bandwidth+memory savings when using MRTs on their GPUs in the absence of those extensions.