PDA

View Full Version : Help with strange code block

PityOnU
09-28-2016, 03:01 PM
Just started working with OpenGL (legacy 1.5) and am working to port an existing application to mobile. While going through the code, I found the following block:

/* Place raster position in lower left corner. */
glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);
glLoadIdentity();
glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);
glPushMatrix();
glLoadIdentity();
glRasterPos2f(-1, -1);
glPopMatrix();

I see that the first two lines work to set the projection matrix back to an identity matrix, pretty easy. The five lines after that, though, have me scratching my head.

I see that the code works with the modelview matrix, but from my (admittedly new and shallow) understanding of pushing and popping matrices from the stack, the code makes a copy of the original matrix, overwrites it with new data, and then reloads the unmodified copy. This seems like wasted effort as it doesn't accomplish anything. Is this the case?

GClements
09-28-2016, 04:42 PM
/* Place raster position in lower left corner. */

I see that the code works with the modelview matrix, but from my (admittedly new and shallow) understanding of pushing and popping matrices from the stack, the code makes a copy of the original matrix, overwrites it with new data, and then reloads the unmodified copy. This seems like wasted effort as it doesn't accomplish anything. Is this the case?
The code does what the comment says. The intent isn't to permanently modify the matrices (although it should be pushing and popping the projection matrix as well as the model-view matrix), it's to set the raster position to the lower-left corner of the viewport. In order to do that, it has to reset the matrices so that (-1,-1) maps to the lower-left corner of the viewport.