PDA

View Full Version : Combining MFC CView and OpenGL view in single Application

DNR_IN
06-16-2016, 06:52 PM
Hello everyone,
I am trying to implement two functionalities in my application

1. 2D drawing using normal MFC (already implemented using CView )
2. Import STL (3D model).I am using OpenGL.

Can anyone help me how it can be done. Similar functionality already implemented in one modeling software that I got from my colleagues.Below is the video location and anyone tell how could they have done it.Thank you.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0MUXp49k3d8T3d5NGRuVDZTejA

Shinta
06-20-2016, 01:15 AM
Guess they created an user-drawn control (maybe based on Picture Control or CStatic, or created a complete new type/control for it) for the OpenGL context, and switch the visibility of it, when needed.

DNR_IN
06-20-2016, 05:36 AM
Guess they created an user-drawn control (maybe based on Picture Control or CStatic, or created a complete new type/control for it) for the OpenGL context, and switch the visibility of it, when needed.

Hi Shinta,
Thank you.Actually am new to MFC technology.right now I derived a two class from CView and one is for 2D drawing and another is for OpenGL. I am switching between these two views .I thought my implementation was wrong. As you said they created a single class for both 2D drawing and OpenGL.I would be grateful if you could provide more information .

Regards
DNR

Shinta
06-21-2016, 01:13 AM
As you said they created a single class for both 2D drawing and OpenGL.
Nope. I didn't said that.

Don't mistake 'class' for 'window'(/control).

They may have created a class that holds several (child-)windows.

Usually the MFC classes encapsule one specific GUI element (e.g. textbox, button...), which may be a 'window'. CView describes afaik not a window itself, but the client area of one. A client area can be drawn to using GUI draw commands. For OpenGL (initialization) you need a real window (usually with some specific window and window class style settings), which is not a good practice (some say, its impossible to do correct; I've never tried it) to draw to with GUI draw commands. Hence my assumtion, that they creates a separate window/control, which they make visible when needed.

DNR_IN
06-21-2016, 02:17 AM
Do you mean subview(openglView) under the mainview.

codeproject Articles 8638 Create-Sub-Window-for-MiniView-under-CView . similar one?

Regards
DNR

Shinta
06-22-2016, 01:32 AM
(I haven't done much MFC in the last 10 year, or so, so my expertise shouldn't be taken too serious.)

Guess that (the codeproject article) can work, too.

IIRC, I used to create a view with the dialog editor (CFormView, in a single view main frame window). I just put a CStatic into the form and used that window (or better it's DC) to create a OpenGL Context. I never tried toggling the visiblity of the CStatic, though. But I you set up the window and class styles correct (WS_CLIPCHILDREN, WS_CLIPSIBLINGS, CS_OWNDC and stuff), and toggle their visibility, you should be able to use one CStatic for your GDI draws and the other for OpenGL.