PDA

View Full Version : cannot figure out opengl viewport, orthographic projection, aspect ratio issues.

blubee
03-05-2016, 07:33 AM
I'm still having a real difficult time sorting out opengl's glViewport, orthographic projection matrix and aspect ratio getting them to work together to get the effect that I want.

I understand that glViewport maps opengl NDC cube to whatever size you pass in to glviewport from left, bottom, top, right.

I create my glViewport and orthographic projection like this.

int width = 320;
int height = 480;
point3 eye, center;
vec3 up;
vmathP3MakeFromElems(&eye, 0, 0, -20);
vmathP3MakeFromElems(&center, 0, 0, -1);
vmathV3MakeFromElems(&up, 0, 1, 0);
vmathM4MakeLookAt(&v_mat, &eye, &center, &up);

vmathM4MakeOrthographic(&p_mat, 0, width, 0, height, 1, 100);
glViewport(0, 0, width, height);

I don't currently move the view position because I want 0,0 to be in the lower left, width to go from 0-width from left to right and height to go from 0-height from bottom to top.

What I just can't wrap my head around is how to use the aspect ratio. Not to mention when I try to do the resize function.

vmathM4MakeOrthographic(&p_mat, 0, w / aspect, 0, h, 1, 100);
glViewport(0, 0, w, h);

the above code what I would like to do is keep the height fixed and scale the width.

I'd like to have a design resolution say 320x480 view that's always centered and if I have a fixed height the width scales out horizontally or fixed width and have the top and bottom stretch like the image below.

http://i.imgur.com/QbhucMC.png

There's the view projection matrix, the glviewport and orthographic projection that all just seem to be a bit much to wrap my head around it all.

how can I achieve the look that I am going for?

Spoops
03-05-2016, 09:36 AM
You should just use glViewport with fixed width and height values, and the origin would be calculated from the actual window size (origin = (window_size-fixed_size)/2 would do it).