PDA

View Full Version : Shaders are not working

ajith.mk
12-19-2015, 05:05 AM
Hi everyone,
I am struggling with shaders right now. Below are my shaders.
#version 440 core
void main(void)
{
const vec4 vertices[3]=vec4[3](vec4(10,-10,15,1.0),vec4(-10,-10,10,1.0),vec4(10,10,10,1.0));
gl_Position=vertices[gl_VertexID];
}

#version 440 core
out vec4 color;
void main(void)
{
color=vec4(1.0f,0.0f,0.0f,1.0f);
}

In render function, I used glDrawArrays(GL_TRIANGLES,0,3). They draw nothing. The problem is I dont know even where to start troubleshooting. They are compiled, linked and even validated successfully. All I get is a blank scene. Several issues, I believe, are also related to how I get the text into the shader source in the first place. So the code below is how load it.

ifstream input(****.txt);
string line, content;
while(!input.eof())
{
getline(input,line);
content. append(line+"\n");
}
const GLchar *shader_source=content.c_str();
glShaderSource(vertex_shader,1,&shader_source,NULL);

Fragment shader is similar to the above one. If I print shader_source, I get whatever is in my text. So no problem there. If everything is fine here, then I need to examine the code elsewhere.

GClements
12-19-2015, 05:54 AM
Hi everyone,
I am struggling with shaders right now. Below are my shaders.

const vec4 vertices[3]=vec4[3](vec4(10,-10,15,1.0),vec4(-10,-10,10,1.0),vec4(10,10,10,1.0));
gl_Position=vertices[gl_VertexID];

All of those vertices are beyond the far plane, so the triangle will be discarded. Bear in mind that gl_Position is in clip space.

Also, please use
tags around code.

Hi everyone,
Several issues, I believe, are also related to how I get the text into the shader source in the first place.

For simple test cases, using a string literal is an option. The main thing is to remember the "\n" at the end of any preprocessor directive (it doesn't matter if the rest of the code is all on one line).

Otherwise, the simplest way to read a file into a string in C++ is probably
[code]
std::string readfile(std::istream& s)
{
std::ostringstream ss;
ss << s.rdbuf();
return ss.str();
}

ajith.mk
12-19-2015, 06:51 AM
:D Got it. I concentrated too much on syntax errors, string loading etc.