PDA

View Full Version : vsync and wglSwapInterval when monitor is in low power mode then woken up

Prune
09-05-2014, 01:10 PM
As my OpenGL application runs on kiosks, it's monitored by a watchdog service, which among other things keeps the monitor suspended with PostMessage(HWND_BROADCAST, WM_SYSCOMMAND, SC_MONITORPOWER, 2).
When the OpenGL application has fully started and is running, it signals so to the service, which powers up the monitor with PostMessage(HWND_BROADCAST, WM_SYSCOMMAND, SC_MONITORPOWER, -1).

I noticed that vsync doesn't work if the OpenGL application starts up while the monitor is powered down, even though I call wglSwapIntervalEXT(1) during its startup. I can understand that there is probably no vsync signal coming from the monitor, but that only explains why there would be no vsync _while_ the monitor is powered down, and doesn't explain why blocking on swap buffers wouldn't immediately come on when the monitor _is_ powered u,p given I've set the swap interval to 1 previously. As it is, I have to keep track of this and call wglSwapIntervalEXT(1) _after_ the monitor is up. Sounds like a driver or Windows bug to me, and it's still a problem with the newest NVIDIA drivers and Windows 7 as well as 8.1, on GTX680 and 780 cards (these have been my test systems). Worse, the workaround of calling wglSwapIntervalEXT(1) after the monitor has powered up is itself problematic, as I have no robust way of knowing when it is, in fact, on--I don't know how to ask Windows whether the monitor has powered up and is sending a vsync. Right now I've simply added a two second delay after the SC_MONITORPOWER wake up message before calling wglSwapIntervalEXT(1).

I have NVIDIA, with the driver's vsync setting "Use the 3D application setting". Please don't suggest forcing vsync on in the driver--I do my own adaptive vsync by toggling wglSwapIntervalEXT 0/1 as needed based on framerate statistics.