PDA

View Full Version : What optimization are made for uniforms?

cifacia
06-02-2014, 04:54 AM
Hi there,
As the title of the topic states, I'm curious to know how the uniform-related behaviours are optimized. In particular I know that unused uniform are "deleted", but what I'm particularly interested into is:

- If the value passed to the uniform is exactly the same between two frames, there are some optimizations involved or not?
- If I have two shader program, says A and B, what are the implication of:

Scenario 1

A.use()
upload value U in one uniform (say u1)
B.use()
upload same U in a uniform in B
A.use()
upload value U in the same uniform u1

vs

Scenario 2

A.use()
upload value U in one uniform (say u1)
A.use() // I know it's pointless, but assume I have to call use again.
upload value U in the same uniform u1
B.use()
upload same U in a uniform in B

?
I assume that the second is better, but to which extent? No optimization is made for scenario 1?

Note: I'm aware of the fact that both Scenario 1 and 2 can be better written sorting the operations per program, but I'm interested in the otherwise case

thokra
06-02-2014, 05:47 AM
AFAICT, neither the GL nor the GLSL spec suggest any course of action in case of setting the same values repeatedly - and frankly I wouldn't expect them to. From the API user's perspective (i.e. GL developers, not implementors) it's entirely an implementation detail. I guess it depends on how expensive determining the current state of program-specific storage is.

If the value passed to the uniform is exactly the same between two frames, there are some optimizations involved or not?

What I can tell you is that you still have the completely unnecessary overhead of calling glUniform*() - if you know you don't have to change the current program's state, just don't do it. Don't count on implementations in that regard.

If I have two shader program, says A and B, what are the implication [..]

In scenario 1, programs A and B will have distinct states and thus both calls will update uniforms in different programs. Since you made program B current before the second time you make A current, the latter would not be redundant, albeit completely unnecessary overhead. Setting the same value again is redundant but ideally a no-op - still I would strongly advise against this practice.

Scenario 2 is worse because here youhave a two redundant state changes, first the repeated call to glUseProgram() and the redundant call to glUniform*(). Making B current and setting a uniform in B is fine and necessary if the value of U in B is actually different.