PDA

View Full Version : What to keep in mind when moving ahead?

chbaker0
12-24-2013, 07:06 PM
I'm constantly afraid of writing something one way, and having it come back to bite me in the butt because it doesn't fit with what I'll be doing later; it's happened plenty for me already through learning OpenGL. Do you all have any tips/pointers for how to lay out an OpenGL-based program? Is it best to encapsulate stuff in classes as much as I can, or is that not too necessary? I'm just a bit reluctant to do so because, since I'm a beginner, I might write classes looking at an OpenGL object from the wrong perspective, and they might end up being useless in the end.

Aleksandar
12-25-2013, 01:58 PM
It is very hard to give any kind of advice, since you have to find a compromise between efficiency and easiness of development.
The efficiency assumes a minimization of state changing, while OO paradigm assumes encapsulation states with objects.
DSA (Direct State Access) could be the solution, but it is not a part of the core.

My general advice: make classes/objects for renderer, shaders, data containers (vertex and texture) etc.

chbaker0
12-25-2013, 02:32 PM
I didn't even know about DSA. I just read about it, and that looks like it could really help with some of my class wrappers. For example:

void SetData(const T &Data_in)
{
if((Data_in != Data) || Dirty)
{
Data = Data_in;
GLuint Initial;
glGetIntegerv(GL_CURRENT_PROGRAM, (GLint*)(&Initial));
GLuint Previous = Initial;
for(auto &i : Uniforms)
{
if(i.first != Previous)
{
glUseProgram(i.first);
Previous = i.first;
}
SetUniform(i.second);
}
if(Initial != Previous) glUseProgram(Initial);
}
Dirty = false;
}

DSA would be great for that. Is DSA commonly supported?

Dark Photon
12-25-2013, 05:50 PM
AMD and NVidia both do. Click "EXT_direct_state_access" here:

* OpenGL capabilities database (http://feedback.wildfiregames.com/report/opengl/)

Check vendor, GPU, and driver combinations you care about.