PDA

View Full Version : OpenGL 4.4 in Ubuntu 12.04

udeepbahadur
11-29-2013, 10:34 AM
how can i install opengl 4.4 on ubuntu 12.04?

mhagain
11-29-2013, 01:28 PM
Step 1: get an NVIDIA card.
Step 2: download their proprieraty binary driver.
Step 3: install the driver.

There are some important points here. The first one is to clarify a common misunderstanding (that unfortunately seems more prevalent among Linux users): OpenGL isn't software, and you don't install it. In order to use a given GL_VERSION, firstly your hardware must support it, and secondly your hardware's vendor must have a driver available for it. The second one is that NVIDIA is currently the only vendor that offers OpenGL 4.4 support on any of their hardware.

thokra
12-02-2013, 03:26 AM
that unfortunately seems more prevalent among Linux users

I will not succumb to zealotry here, but I don't think this is true - I believe this problem is, just like OpenGL, platform-independent. :) The rest is, of course, valid at present.

The Little Body
12-03-2013, 02:04 PM
I have read at http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTUzMTM that lastest OpenGL versions that are supported on Mesa are 3.x versions

=> it does not exist a software implementation of OpenGL that support OpenGL 4.x ???
(if not, how a new driver can to say that it support a 4.x version if doesn't exist a reference software driver that support 4.x versions, for to can verify that the new driver work exactly as it ?)