PDA

View Full Version : how would I restart a triangle strip?

Exempt
08-15-2013, 02:37 PM
I'm using a VBO to store my terrain data and displaying it using triangle strips. The problem I have it that it seems to be drawing extra triangles connecting each row to the next column down. I think a easy solution would be to just have it restart the triangle strip at each of the columns.

This is how I fill my VBOs data for displaying. heights is just a vector<vector<float>> that holds columns and rows of heights that I load from a grayscale image. I would just need a way to restart a triangle strip after each time the second for loop finishes.

for(int z = 0; z < heights.size()-1; z++)
{
for(int x = 0; x < heights[0].size()-1; x++)
{
vec.push_back(x * tileSize);
vec.push_back(heights[x][z] * maxHeight);
vec.push_back(z * tileSize);

vec.push_back(x * tileSize);
vec.push_back(heights[x][z+1] * maxHeight);
vec.push_back(z+1 * tileSize);
}
//add a new triangle strip here
}

GClements
08-15-2013, 03:16 PM
I'm using a VBO to store my terrain data and displaying it using triangle strips. The problem I have it that it seems to be drawing extra triangles connecting each row to the next column down. I think a easy solution would be to just have it restart the triangle strip at each of the columns.

With glDrawArrays(), you'd need one call for each row. With glDrawElements(), you can either use GL_TRIANGLES rather than GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP, or use glPrimitiveRestartIndex() (requires OpenGL 3.1).

kyle_
08-17-2013, 03:35 PM
or use glPrimitiveRestartIndex() (requires OpenGL 3.1).

Please do use the functionality, but do not use the function. Setting index to non-default is a bad idea. Just glEnable(GL_PRIMITIVE_RESTART) or better glEnable(GL_PRIMITIVE_RESTRAT_FIXED_INDEX) (if you have it).

Alfonse Reinheart
08-17-2013, 03:41 PM
Setting index to non-default is a bad idea.

Says who? Do you have any evidence for this? On what hardware is it "a bad idea?"

Exempt
08-17-2013, 03:43 PM
I ended up using glDrawElements and a index... seems like a better idea in the end to me.

kyle_
08-17-2013, 03:50 PM
Says who? Do you have any evidence for this? On what hardware is it "a bad idea?"

Anecdotal. But i know of at least one GL implementation that does not support the feature 'natively'.
Shouldn't really be much of surprise given how DX specified restart index.