AMD Catalyst 13.3 Beta Linux - Linkage Madness - Tessellation

Good morning (depending on the time zone)! To whom it may concern, the following is a bug report.

Yesterday I discovered that the above mentioned driver shows certain incorrect behavior depending on the code of a tessellation control shader. Let’s get the vertex, tess eval and fragment shaders out of the way first:

/* vertex shader */
#version 420
in vec4 position;
void main()
{
    // pass-through
    gl_Position  = position;
}

/* tess eval shader */
#version 420
layout(isolines) in;
void main()
{
    // just draw a line from (0, 0, 0) to (1, 0, 0)
    gl_Position = vec4(gl_TessCoord, 1.0);
}

/* fragment shader */
#version 420
out vec4 FragColor;
void main()
{   
    FragColor = vec4(1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0);
}

All well and good. Now, according to the spec, the following tess control shader should cause the linker to fail linking the program:

#version 420
void main()
{
}

However, this will simply cause the driver to crash. I’d offer a comprehensive stack trace but - yeah, closed source and no symbols.

Interestingly, the following will simply crash as well:

#version 420
layout(vertices = 2) out;
void main()
{
}

If I add only one write to a single output, no matter which, it links and runs.

#version 420
layout(vertices = 2) out;
void main()
{
  gl_TessLevelInner[0] = 1.0;
}

Interestingly, the following will compile, link and run just fine as well, although it’s in violation of the spec:

#version 420
void main()
{
    gl_TessLevelOuter[0] = 1;
}

The following, however, will crash during linkage:

#version 420
void main()
{
    gl_TessLevelInner[0] = 1;
}

To say the least: this is messed up!

As far as I can tell, and as far as I could find any information in the spec, a tess control shader is not mandated to do anything other than specifying the number of vertices in the output patch. I couldn’t find anything so far that states otherwise. In any case, the driver clearly behaves incorrectly.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.