is sdl a good choice?

i want to get into openGL 3D programming, and have previously used sdl for 2d games. would sdl be a decent choice for handling the input and window stuff for openGL?

i am asking this question because for the last 4 days or so i have been trying to get into openGL but i find i spend more time switching between all the different libraries more then i actually code…
every time i switch to a different library someone says its outdated or wont work for me etc…

im sorry for the (probably) dumb question.

[QUOTE=even821;1249630]i want to get into openGL 3D programming, and have previously used sdl for 2d games. would sdl be a decent choice for handling the input and window stuff for openGL?

i am asking this question because for the last 4 days or so i have been trying to get into openGL but i find i spend more time switching between all the different libraries more then i actually code…
every time i switch to a different library someone says its outdated or wont work for me etc…

im sorry for the (probably) dumb question.[/QUOTE]

I dont know about SDL is outdated or not but it gets the job done! in a decent way.it doesn’t matter what u use for creating a window and just handling inputs.if u are comfortable with SDL i suggest,Go for it.
I too had this problem and ended up with SDL as it is easy to get started.actually i never went through any SDL tutorials just OpenGL tutorials from NEHE and most of the SDL code are self explanatory.Im also a newbie and this is just my suggestion.veteran members may suggest a better option.

Valve is using it on their Linux client. To what extent I don’t know.

See their GDC slides if you don’t believe me.

Having said that, I use GLFW cause its so easy but it means you’ll need other libs for audio and whatnot